Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm planning some upgrades to my torino's engine. I'd like to hear suggestions from anyone who's worked on theirs as well. I have a 74 torino with a 351w. I am somewhat on a budget, but would like to give the engine a little more power. I'll be doing the work myself, I'm not a great mechanic, but I think I can handle what I have planned out.
First, I was looking at these books, should I skip any of these or is there another book I should read as well? High performance engine parts interchange, how to rebuild the small block ford, and how to build perfomance v-8's on a budget.
I'd like to keep the amount of money I spent on parts in the ball park of a grand. I was planning on using some used gt-40p heads (I want to raise the compression ratio a bit, and they have slightly smaller combustion chambers). I may mill them down a little bit, about .020. I'd like to get the CR up to 9:1, maybe a little higher.
I was also planning on going to a 4-barrel carb and intake, probably see what I can find used. I've heard a lot of good things about the edelbrock intakes.
The big thing is the camshaft, and I'm not sure of what path to take there. I was thinking of buying an aftermarket timing chain and advancing the cam by 4 degrees. The stock cams have the timing retarded, so I figure advancing it would help. Or replacing the camshaft altogether, I'm still researching what after marker cam would work well with the gt-40p, or if the stock cam is fine for them.
I'm not looking into making a racer, this is just my weekend cruiser, and I'd like to have a little more power. Everything on the car right now is stock, and runs well.
Is there any other inexpensive mods I could do as well?

·
Registered
688 Posts
A couple of items the GT40Ps are going to require custom made headers and that will take most of your $1000 dollar budget and you do not just set the cam 4 degrees advanced (internet Myth that all cams were retarted by factory) you need to read up on Degreeing a cam! I am to lazy to go into the details and there is a ton of info on line about degreeing a cam properly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey!

Thanks for the tips, would those books I listed be informative on what I want to do?
Again, I've just thought about this plan, so am just gathering information. Reading from another message board, I was told BBK, MAC, and Ford racing P headers all fit the gt40p. THe BBK aren't too expensive. But I'll definitely research that a bit more.
What other options would I have for heads? Again, I'm just looking for a little more power, not building a racer. Would finding a set of 1969 or 1970 302 heads work better? Again, just looking for cheap options to upgrade my heads.
Its been a long time since I've worked on a car, so I'm learning/re-learning a lot of things as I go!

-Pete

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you're really on a $1000 budget, skip the heads.

I'd make sure you had dual exhaust, keeping the stock exhaust manifolds (for now), use your funds to change the cam and buy a decent intake + carb.

That should put you pretty close to the $1000 mark and will have a definite improvement on it's driveability and the 'fun factor' w/o breaking the bank.

Down the road, you can worry about the heads.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the advice and help. I've got another question. I can get a 4bl intake manifold from a 1969 351w pretty darn near for close to nothing ($20-$25). I know an edelbrock performer, rpm, or stealth would of course be better, but how does the stock '69 4bl intake compare to them? Does anyone know of anyone doing a comparison? Again, my plan for the engine is highway cruising and driving, I don't see myself racing at any point. I just want decent power for passing and accelerating up to highway speed. If I don't need that much intake, I could save some money on that part.
I've set a budget for different parts of the car. Right now I am working on the instrument panel, then probably some mods for handling, so not in a rush to tear apart the engine just yet.

-Pete

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Dunno about a comparison, but i ran one for years...and didnt see any fault in it with the build i had done.. cam headers carb intake.... car ran surprisingly well for the beater it was....

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
That motor should have the 60cc chambered 351 heads with the big valves..I'm not sure the P heads would be a big improvement over them..I think the pistons have some pretty large dishes that is lowering the compression to 8.7:1...I would go with a performer or performer rpm intake and get yourself some headers and dual exhaust to help it breathe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts