Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone

I just bought a 1972 Mark IV with 22K miles. I love the car, but want to upgrade the suspension for better handling. How much of the Mark chassis is based on the Thunderbird? What suggestions do you have for upgrading my suspension? I know it will never handle like a sports car, but I wouldn't mind taking out some of the sway and body lean if possible without compromising too much of the ride.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Suspension rebuild (with OEM bushings rather than polyurethane), a larger front sway bar and a rear sway bar (with polyurethane bushings on the end kits). HD shocks and decent tires.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The MARK is built on the TBIRD 4DR platform of the period. Whatever fits the BIRD will fit yours (most instances).

Does it presently have a rear sway bar?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know why I thought it didn't have a sway bar, but I got back in town today and crawled underneath it and it DOES have a sway bar, although it doesn't appear to be very big. BTW, I also put 17" wheels on it with bigger rubber, so there's more weight on each wheel then there was stock.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You need to rebush the front end (and rear suspension also) due to its age. Polyurethane bushings for the sway bars (center and link). IMO, KYB shocks are quality and the price will not hurt all that much.

You have the short wide rubber so that will help a lot.

You have to take it in stages as no one offers a kit (to the best of my knowledge). You will have to adapt from other vehicles and improvise after this.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Also consider the OEM springs are most likely fatigued.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Read the 65-67 Galaxie suspension thread. The suspension design is the same for your Mark IV and most of the part numbers will interchange.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts