Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Freshly rebuilt 302 with 268 Comp Cam is making a clacking noise. Had to drop the oil pan to fix rear seal, retorqued all bottom end parts they are in good shape. Cam installation went great when we rebult the engine, cam keeper fit just right when it was installed. Is the cam walking forward on me or is it more of a lifter problem??

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
normally a "clacking" is caused by a loose rocker arm. I would pull the tappet covers and check all the rockers for looseness. If you find one that's loose, check to see if the nut backed off or the stud is pulling out of the head.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Checking your rockers first is a good idea. If one is loose, take note of which one it is and reset lash and/or retorque. If the noise goes away and stays gone, great. If it goes away and comes back in a couple of hundred miles, then you can begin to worry.

I had a clacking noise in my motor not too long ago. It sounded like lifter tap from the get-go. I finally pulled the intake and saw a wiped cam lobe on a 900 mile cam. Still brings tears to my eyes.
I don't want to talk about this anymore!!!

Anyhow, I hope you don't have to worry about that. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts