Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and gentleman, I just got word that the local boneyard will be crushing soon again and a 1972 Montego GT that I stripped out earlier is on the chopping block. I'm going back for two things I never got: the front fascia and the steering column. I'm having to cut the fascia off since the fenders are junk and the bolts are seized. I'll finish it off tomorrow. But I looked at the steering column and have no idea what to do. How can I remove this and remove it QUICK? As in, 2.5 hours quick?

Again, thanks for any help!

P.S. I'm also coming home with '54 Chevy parts, and some things from a '69 Mustang.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
4 bolts- one reg joint bolt- 6 screws- unplug T/S junk- yank it out.

That's what I'd do..... :)

Maybe a 3/8" socket, a phillips and a regular screwdriver, a 12 pt 7/16 socket (in case the rag joint bolt is 12 point, they sometimes are) Metric Crescent wrench, Hammer, Vice Grips Channel locks, ***** or side cutters as I prefer to call them.

That should do ya.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! The steering wheel is locked and the key is long gone, so hopefully I can access the rag joint bolt...if not, I'll figure something out.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Thanks! The steering wheel is locked and the key is long gone, so hopefully I can access the rag joint bolt...if not, I'll figure something out.
unbolt steering colum inside first...that way you should be able to turn everything and get access to ragjoint bolt....;)

good luck....

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
4 bolts- one reg joint bolt- 6 screws- unplug T/S junk- yank it out.

That's what I'd do..... :)

Maybe a 3/8" socket, a phillips and a regular screwdriver, a 12 pt 7/16 socket (in case the rag joint bolt is 12 point, they sometimes are)

Metric Crescent wrench,

Hammer, Vice Grips Channel locks, ***** or side cutters as I prefer to call them.

That should do ya.
A METRIC Crescent Wrench? I did not realize metric had a different calibration than SAE regarding an adjustable wrench.

:confused: ...sheesh...

Now I have another set of wrenches I will have to buy...

BTW- The word **** is sexually insensitive. Please show more respect and acceptance.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Obviously I forgot that you are from WBGVA...

I should have called it a Standard crescent wrench that opens to millimeter increments only... ;_ hehehe.
DAMN!

That must be one special wrench. Does it come RH and LH?

It will go along well with your FMF CERTIFIED TORQUE RATED FINGER SPIN ABILITY... :frown:

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Oh and I also forgot to tell him what Lars told him... Unbolt from dash ans turn as you like to expose rag bolt.
He must be one strong SOB to turn that column assembly with no PS and the wheels on the ground.

I would pay to see him chasing that steering wheel all over the front seat...

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Kul..... Wrecking yard cars NEVER have the wheels on them anymore. Not unless the car went there in 79 and sat in the corner.... And they are always set up on blocks to maximize the chances for folks to get at parts they want and maximize profits......

And turning the whole column with wheels down and on the ground is as simple as pie. Boy oh boy you need to get in the field again.

Besides that, cruisin63 guy is 7' -14 1/2" tall and 470 lbs. He don't even need to use a wrench!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Kul..... Wrecking yard cars NEVER have the wheels on them anymore. Not unless the car went there in 79 and sat in the corner.... And they are always set up on blocks to maximize the chances for folks to get at parts they want and maximize profits......
I keep forgetting THE WORLD ACCORDING TO F. Maybe they also have it sitting in the garage on stands too...

And turning the whole column with wheels down and on the ground is as simple as pie.
Yes, the column will be fairly easy to turn. It is the steering shaft he might have a little trouble with.

I think I will stay out of the field as it is highly possible I would run into guys that are a little out of it and might get hurt.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, It wouldn't budge. I tried everything. This car's tires are flat and the suspension is shot so its sorta sunk in the ground - there's no turning that! There are two rag joint bolts, one is facing the ground. I'm not going to jack up this rusty thing and risk killing myself for a part thats not that rare. As well pulled the front bumper and fascia off, we realized that even the chassis is full of rust holes. I stripped this sucker clean of everything else so that should be good enough.

I also picked some stuff up for a '54 Chevy Bel-Air as well.

Sorry to disappoint, but thanks for the help anyway!

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
I thought he said this car was in a crap yard getting ready to be scrapped.... My bad for thinking.... WHat a wimp that can't unbolt the column and twist it a little. simple schmimple. and at seven foot fourteen and a half inches you should be tougher. :) :)

DAMN!

That must be one special wrench. Does it come RH and LH?

It will go along well with your FMF CERTIFIED TORQUE RATED FINGER SPIN ABILITY... :frown:

Oh no, not in this economy, all the supplier have been able to put out this year are the left handed standard SAE crescent wrenches that only open in mm increments...

I know, the times are tough, but sometime we gotta take it as it comes.:D

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Well, It wouldn't budge. I tried everything. This car's tires are flat and the suspension is shot so its sorta sunk in the ground - there's no turning that! There are two rag joint bolts, one is facing the ground. I'm not going to jack up this rusty thing and risk killing myself for a part thats not that rare. As well pulled the front bumper and fascia off, we realized that even the chassis is full of rust holes. I stripped this sucker clean of everything else so that should be good enough.

I also picked some stuff up for a '54 Chevy Bel-Air as well.

Sorry to disappoint, but thanks for the help anyway!

Wait a second. the friggin column unbolted gives you NO movement? You are missing something.

I've never seen a car that you can't turn the wheel on no matter how far in the dirt it was stuck. P/S or not! something else was amiss.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wait a second. the friggin column unbolted gives you NO movement? You are missing something.

I've never seen a car that you can't turn the wheel on no matter how far in the dirt it was stuck. P/S or not! something else was amiss.

I even took the turn signal cover off to try and jimmy the anti-theft lock (didn't know they had those in '72) and I couldn't pull it out enough to see what I was doing. Sorry to disappoint.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Gaaah man you're not getting the point.

Unbolted form the dash the steering being locked don't mean nuttin, you can SPIN the column WITH the wheel locked, but only if it's UNBOLTED from the dash.

Nothing but the 4 bolts in the bracket prevent the column from twisting when you turn the wheel, therefore unbolting the column allows the wheel to be turned in ANY VEHICLE in AMERICA :)
I've done it several times doing Tow jobs where the owner lost the keys and the column was locked one way or the other..

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I am going back tomorrow morning to finish off a Mustang and a '54 Bel-Air. Maybe if I jack up the front end and turn the whole column with the tires out of the dirt?

If I have time tomorrow, I might try that. But I have bigger fish to fry now.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
If the car is on the ground, you simply jack the car up (LF) AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE (TRACK JACK) and throw one or two tire and wheel assemblies under it so it will not come down on you. Disconnect the steering coupling and you are free to go.

If nothing else, take a BAT powered sawzal and cut through the coupling.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Gaaah man you're not getting the point.

Unbolted form the dash the steering being locked don't mean nuttin, you can SPIN the column WITH the wheel locked, but only if it's UNBOLTED from the dash.

Nothing but the 4 bolts in the bracket prevent the column from twisting when you turn the wheel, therefore unbolting the column allows the wheel to be turned in ANY VEHICLE in AMERICA :)

I've done it several times doing Tow jobs where the owner lost the keys and the column was locked one way or the other..
F...

He needs to turn the steering shaft (connected to steering coupling), not the actual column. The column asm will just rotate around the steering shaft if the front wheels are frozen in the ground.

Not much of a yard if they will not pick it up with a pole car to get underneath it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts