Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to buy a corded 1/2" drill and a 4-1/2" angle grinder. Problem is when I check out Milwaukee, I see the wonderful "Made in China" tagline on it. DeWalt, from what I've seen, is at least on the same continent. Given that even Milwaukee is not even Wisconsin anymore, are there any power tools made here still? If my hand tools are US made, I want my power tools to be also.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
Porter Cable I think is one of the last holdouts...I'll have to look though things change fast...

Edit: looked- nope.

P-C got bought by B&D in '05, then Stanley bought that up in '09 - now all china or mexico.

Wow. NO powertools made here at all anymore...just Wow :(

·
Registered
734 Posts
Chicago Electric maybe? idk

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Porter Cable I think is one of the last holdouts...I'll have to look though things change fast...

Edit: looked- nope.

P-C got bought by B&D in '05, then Stanley bought that up in '09 - now all china or mexico.

Wow. NO powertools made here at all anymore...just Wow :(
That's what I thought until I went to Lowes. From what I read, Makita has some stuff made here (funny how that works). My favorite is Skill, which is almost Harbor Freight quality now, except for their classic circular saw which is thankfully made here still.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I have Makita tools (Makita Tools of America) made in Ga., Freud ( Italian co.) made in SC., Bosch (German co.) made in America., Rotozip in WI. Some Porter Cable that were made in USA, A few Milwaukee that were made here, and a bunch more that I'm not sure of. Most of my tools are industrial grade that I have owned for awhile. Most of the "toy tools" like Skil, Black &Decker, Craftsman, Ryobi, were over shore for many years. We're talking elect. tools.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
That's what I thought until I went to Lowes. From what I read, Makita has some stuff made here (funny how that works). My favorite is Skill, which is almost Harbor Freight quality now, except for their classic circular saw which is thankfully made here still.
we used to run 4 wheel abs valve bodies at work, there was a really deep 5/32 angled port, they ran a hand drill thru to roughly clean out...the needed a drill, I 'loaned them' my 3/8 Skil variable speed drill, and kinda forgot about it...had my name engraved in it, a couple yrs later the guy in charge of the line saw my name on the drill, brought me a replacement drill...you know that old drill was still being used like half a million holes later? I had forgot about it, we used air most everywhere, went down to take a look, sure enough, the handle was noticably worn just from handling, chipped up from being dropped or whatever, and the chuck felt loose in the housing, but the variable speed everything still worked. Skil made a really great product.

at work they bought a lot of milwaukee "holeshooters" over the years- American made, but I hated the huge trigger- cant tell you how many times I saw someone start to go for a ride on the drill...if it grabbed, you couldnt let go of the trigger, the darn thing would about tear your arm off unless you just dropped it...stupid design- but talk about a powerful drill...

hard to believe how many products we couldnt have if we ever have a falling out with the asian countries...we're in deep doo-doo.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
we used to run 4 wheel abs valve bodies at work, there was a really deep 5/32 angled port, they ran a hand drill thru to roughly clean out...the needed a drill, I 'loaned them' my 3/8 Skil variable speed drill, and kinda forgot about it...had my name engraved in it, a couple yrs later the guy in charge of the line saw my name on the drill, brought me a replacement drill...you know that old drill was still being used like half a million holes later? I had forgot about it, we used air most everywhere, went down to take a look, sure enough, the handle was noticably worn just from handling, chipped up from being dropped or whatever, and the chuck felt loose in the housing, but the variable speed everything still worked. Skil made a really great product.

at work they bought a lot of milwaukee "holeshooters" over the years- American made, but I hated the huge trigger- cant tell you how many times I saw someone start to go for a ride on the drill...if it grabbed, you couldnt let go of the trigger, the darn thing would about tear your arm off unless you just dropped it...stupid design- but talk about a powerful drill...

hard to believe how many products we couldnt have if we ever have a falling out with the asian countries...we're in deep doo-doo.
No doubt that Skill use to make a good product. When I need a drill, I borrow my dad's 3/8" drill. No variable speed, but the thing has more juice than the $20 joke grinder we bought for laughs. Actually, it gave me a scare when I had to drill my frame since I went through 3 bits and every time, it would give a nice twist prior too. That's part of the reason why I want a 1/2" drive now, for that extra handle. But that 3/8" Skill drill is a tank (metal case, grounding plug, no variable speed, keyed chuck, so it must be from way back). But now, you look at their drills and it's pathetic. However, there is some logic behind it since Bosch owns them now, and naturally, they made Skill their cheap brand (minus their circular saws).

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might be surprized how many of those american companys are owned by B&D.
Similarly, how many tool companies are owned by Techtronics. Milwaukee is their only brand that actually has a reputation for quality while everything else they own is the definition of cheap junk.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I have an O'scope made by Techtronics. It's pretty old, but in the day they were one of the best.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an O'scope made by Techtronics. It's pretty old, but in the day they were one of the best.
Where they always offshore? I know now they tout Homelite and Ryobi and Milwaukee seems to be a strange fit. Also seems to explain why Hoover is now junk given they own them now too.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
An update for me, I found some NOS on eBay for a Milwaukee 234-6 that was made in the US. Waiting for that to come to my door. As for grinders, looks like I'm SOL. Though Makita, Bosch, and Metabo make nice products, I really don't like how they feel in my hand (Metabo feels like a biscuit cutter and Bosch feels too tiny and weak). I'm leaning towards the DeWalt though, given my past experiences using one...

Interesting that a company like Techtronics, though great with electrical equipment, has no problem putting out junk like Ryobi.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts