Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 289 with stock heads (54CC). I want go to a ported head with 1.94 and 1.60 valves. If I go to a 351W head I'll lose compression but gain flow. If I have my 289 heads reworked I'll keep compression but not have as much flow as 351W's. With shaving how low in CC's can a 351W head get. Should I go with my 289 heads or get a set of 351W's.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I know I will get some blow-back from this, but I'm not convinced the 351W head swap is one I would make. Back in the day, Ford had a kit for this swap that included pop-up pistons to maintain the higher compression. I'm using 1968 302 4V heads that are mildly home ported. I had 1.84/1.54 valves put in along with screw in studs and some Magnum roller tip rockers. No great shakes, but decent for my combo on the street. My cr is 9.6:1 and I use 92 octane. A friend and I both have the same car with almost identical buildups. His has the 351W heads though. They are statistically even on the chassis dyno. If I were you, unless you're doing a total rebuild, I'd use the 289 heads and have some big valves put in. Do the home porting outlined in the archives here. You can check my setup and dyno sheet on the Dyno Forum here at FM to get an idea of performance potential in a mild buildup.

Or, take a look at www.powerheads.com.

Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In "Official Factory Guide to Building Ford Short-Track Power"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/188408947X/

they take a 1987-1992 302 and top it with a 351w N351 head. They mill the heads .047 to produce a static compression of 10.7:1. The block was milled .012 to allow the forged pistons to extend out of the block .005. With Comp Cam XE274HR, victor jr manifold, and a 2 inch spacer, they did 407HP at the flywheel.

hope this info is useful

Andy

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
the 351w heads offer better air flow than the 289 heads do. there is also a little more room to install the larger valves that you want. the increased airflow more than makes up for the lost compression. a better way to go however is to buy a set of world products windsor jr heads(buy them bare and save money) and use them. they will out flow the 351w heads even when modified, and you can get the smaller combustion chambers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.