Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used oem radiator that is fairly new, but want to clean it out from any sludge it has inside. However I do not want to flush it regularly through the engine since it will be rebuilt and clean! Don't want any of that crap going through my rebuilt engine of course. Any ideas? What do you guys do (other than buying a brand new rad)?

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
I would just do a table-top pre-cleaning. A couple sawhorses or whatever to lay it on face-down and fittings up. Mix a batch of what they used to put in radiator flush. That's 2 ounces of oxalic acid (also known as wood bleach at the hardware store) and 3 drops of dish soap to each gallon of hot water. There are other recipes that work. This one roughly duplicates the basic old commercial versions.

Use safety glasses, gloves, etc. I fill the radiator full and let set a while, agitating to get bubbles out from time-to-time. Let it work. When cool, rock and shake it around while draining to get the crud out. Repeat. When you're happy, flush very well at all angles and directions with a garden hose.

When installed, use an appropriate blend of antifreeze and distilled water -or- 50/50 coolant pre-mix -or- straight distilled water (in non-freezing areas or seasonally only), and a bottle of 'radiator corrosion inhibitor and water pump lube'. Do not use tap water or bottled drinking water as they promote electrolysis. Drive happy. My 2¢.

David

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice, thanks for your input David! Did some research and this seems to be the route ppl go with.

I would just do a table-top pre-cleaning. A couple sawhorses or whatever to lay it on face-down and fittings up. Mix a batch of what they used to put in radiator flush. That's 2 ounces of oxalic acid (also known as wood bleach at the hardware store) and 3 drops of dish soap to each gallon of hot water. There are other recipes that work. This one roughly duplicates the basic old commercial versions.

Use safety glasses, gloves, etc. I fill the radiator full and let set a while, agitating to get bubbles out from time-to-time. Let it work. When cool, rock and shake it around while draining to get the crud out. Repeat. When you're happy, flush very well at all angles and directions with a garden hose.

When installed, use an appropriate blend of antifreeze and distilled water -or- 50/50 coolant pre-mix -or- straight distilled water (in non-freezing areas or seasonally only), and a bottle of 'radiator corrosion inhibitor and water pump lube'. Do not use tap water or bottled drinking water as they promote electrolysis. Drive happy. My 2¢.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts