Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my crate motor is in , tranny is back from transmission shop car is running so going to rent a car dolley to haul the 62 galaxie to the muffler shop. Didnt want to drive untill the transmission shop that rebuilt it had a chance to go over it and fine tune it.He requested I have the exaughst system on so we could hear it a little better. My question is its about 8 miles to the exaughst shop would the transmission get damaged if I put it in nuetral and used the car dolley to haul it there? Is it necessary to re move the drive shaft? It has a freshly rebuilt AOD automatic transmission in it.Its one of those units you put front tires on it and the back tires stay on the ground.

Ive never used one of these things before but would be easier than getting it on and off a trailer. I got slow back roads all the way there and only about 8 miles to go. What do yous think?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well my crate motor is in , tranny is back from transmission shop car is running so going to rent a car dolley to haul the 62 galaxie to the muffler shop. Didnt want to drive untill the transmission shop that rebuilt it had a chance to go over it and fine tune it.He requested I have the exaughst system on so we could hear it a little better. My question is its about 8 miles to the exaughst shop would the transmission get damaged if I put it in nuetral and used the car dolley to haul it there? Is it necessary to re move the drive shaft? It has a freshly rebuilt AOD automatic transmission in it.Its one of those units you put front tires on it and the back tires stay on the ground.

Ive never used one of these things before but would be easier than getting it on and off a trailer. I got slow back roads all the way there and only about 8 miles to go. What do yous think?
I would pull the drive shaft if it were me, or rent a car hauling trailer from U-haul. Always heard pulling an automatic with the rear wheels on the ground would damage the tranny.

·
Registered
106 Posts
according to uhaul disconnect the drive shaft

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/120/Tow-Dolly-User-Instructions/
Transmission damage to your vehicle-in-tow

When towing a rear axle driven front engine vehicle, the drive shaft must be disconnected to prevent transmission damage. Simply placing the transmission in neutral is not sufficient and will not prevent damage due to a lack of internal lubrication. You must disconnect the drive shaft at the rear axle and tie or wire it up. The universal joint bearing caps must be taped on to prevent loss of the bearings. If you choose to remove the drive shaft entirely, it may be necessary to cap the transmission tail shaft to prevent fluid loss and possible future damage. Consult your vehicle owner’s manual.
U-Haul Centers and dealers are not required to remove or reinstall the drive shaft as part of the rental. However, some U-Haul Centers and dealers can do this for an additional fee.
Front wheel drive vehicles do not need drive shafts disconnected because the drive wheels are loaded on the tow dolly.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
A flatbed hauler would probably get your car there for $100. How much is your time worth?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Can ya haul it with the rear wheels on the dolly and lock the steering wheel somehow??:|
I have done that but it's not advisable. If it comes unlocked somehow it will be all over the place. And even with it locked the wheel won't be perfectly straight and it will crab. Disconnecting the drive shaft is not a big deal so I would just do it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tHANKS for the input. I'm just going to pay another 10.00 and get a car hauler. I was told if you use the dolly you have to put a magnetic set of lights on rear of car and those are like 20.00 so that setles that. That way I dont have to drop the line shaft. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
I've hauled the mustang thousands of miles on a car dolly without pulling the driveshaft... but it has a toploader 4-speed. Wouldn't want to risk it with an automatic. That being said, any time I needed an exhaust made, I simply drove it to the shop with open headers! If you get pulled over... hey, I was just driving to the muffler shop! 0:)

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
tHANKS for the input. I'm just going to pay another 10.00 and get a car hauler. I was told if you use the dolly you have to put a magnetic set of lights on rear of car and those are like 20.00 so that setles that. That way I dont have to drop the line shaft. Thanks again guys.
First time using one, here's a tip. Don't forget to drop the fender on the trailer before you pull the car onto it. THat way you can open the door to get out of the car and not be trapped in by the raised fender.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update. Used a carhauller and it went great, Got it to the shop at 8 am the exaughst was done by 11 and had the trailer back to the rental place and home by 12 not bad, I went with 2 1/2 pipe with magnaflow turbo mufflers coming off my JBA stainles steel ceramic shorty headers. I had them bring both pipes out the back old school all the way sounds good. Not loud but good bubble sound . The last leg will be to take it to the transmission shop have him put his blessing and I'm ready to drive! Can't wait.
Still a few minor things to do but definatly will be driven.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We are using a flatbed hauler mostly we use for motorcycle towing service, it works fine for us, we are using a jeep so this is not a big deal for the jeep.

·
Registered
2 Posts
PREVENT WHIPPING by properly loading the tow dolly. The vehicle-in-tow must be loaded facing forward (front wheels on tow dolly). Loading the vehicle-in-tow backwards can cause the tow vehicle and tow dolly “combination” to begin WHIPPING, which is violent and uncontrollable sway.

SIDE to SIDE MOTION (SWAY) THAT BEGINS as you reach a certain speed, will likely become WHIPPING at higher speeds. If you notice sway beginning SLOW DOWN IMMEDIATELY by letting off the gas pedal. Then stop to check the tow dolly and vehicle-in-tow as soon as possible.

IF WHIPPING or SWAY OCCURS, DO NOT steer, DO NOT apply your brakes, and NEVER speed up. Let off the gas pedal and hold the steering wheel in a straight-ahead position. I experienced this when I was Driving rental car for LOCAL LIMO TRANSPORTATION.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts