Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Porting the exhaust runners out. I think I made them Too big. Everyone kept telling me "Gasket match, Gasket match", well I made them a little smaller than the gaskets but when I put that same gasket up to the new headers, the header tubes are a lot smaller.

Is my exhaust going to be hitting a brick wall now?

Should I start looking for some more E7TE's?

·
Registered
242 Posts
what size headers do you have?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought some BBK 1-5/8" unequal length shorties. One piece flanges'.

I'll take some pictures of the heads and headers tomorrow and post them.

·
Registered
660 Posts
You might be able to grind the flanges to match. Usually you have a little room on those that can be ground away...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the flanges actualy match OK, it's just when it goes into the actual tube where it gets smaller than the port.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I think I'm finished with the heads. I'm sure more could be done but I'm getting tired of messing with them.

I bolted one header up and ran my finger around the short turn and ran into the slag on the header.

I'm not a welder so forgive me for asking, but is it OK to grind that down to make it flat? or will it weaken the weld?

Here's one of the exhaust ports.

One more.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
)I want to think you can grind the weld down...but not too far, otherwise it will make it weaker. High school metal shop...man I loved to weld

Jeff Given

·
Registered
355 Posts
Grind down the weld and if you cut through, reweld on the outside - just don't interfere with the bolt areas. You need to be able to get the bolts in after you weld.

Be sure to remove your slag with a ding hammer/center punch/wire wheel and put high temp paint to keep your metal from rusting away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts