Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I will be getting a stock 351W, aod and all the engine mounts and five lug parts for my 1968 falcon.

Couple questions on the front susp. Doing some research on the mustang, I found the 6 cyl and 302 springs are the same part #. Would it be OK to run a 351 on top of them? What about the rear springs, they look very thin, should I look to upgrade, or just throw on some slapper bars for now.

Also, for $heets and giggles, I still have the 6 cyl C-4, I also have a v8 bellhousing for the C-4. Could I swap the bells and use the c4 for awhile? or is it just too light duty in 6 cyl form.

also, I would like to start building the car to hold alot of HP, where would be some good places to start beefing it up? I would like it to handle well, not just straight line.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I'm sure the 351 isn't that much heavier than the 302 so that wouldn't concern me. I'm running stock rear leafs with poly bushings, KYB gas shocks and slapper bars on my '65 and it's okay. I also replaced my front sway bar with a 1" Global West unit and it helped flatten out corners some but with skinnies up front I wasn't looking for a road racer, just better street manners.

If you have an AOD at your disposal I'd have that rebuilt and use it. The C4 with some minor mods can handle loads of power, with extensive mods they'll handle 1000 HP so the trans in itself isn't a weak deal by any means. It's just how well put together it is. I'd love a built AOD myself but my C4 has been good to me for 14 years, two engines and only one rebuild so far.

For a better handling car and added frame strength I had some Global West subframe connectors welded in but you could probably make your own if you can weld and do steel fabrication at all. They keep the frame from from twisting and were very noticable the second I pulled out of the driveway. Shock tower braces are also popular and will help. I went with Total Control Products for that. I'm only running the tower brace that replaces the stock sheet metal stuff but they also offer add-ons like a cross brace (Monte Carlo type) and other stuff. It's all very nice quality stuff and really cleans up the engine compartment. :tup:

John

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
So, I will be getting a stock 351W, aod and all the engine mounts and five lug parts for my 1968 falcon.

Couple questions on the front susp. Doing some research on the mustang, I found the 6 cyl and 302 springs are the same part #. Would it be OK to run a 351 on top of them?

Yes. Only about 60-65 lbs difference in engine weights.
What about the rear springs, they look very thin, should I look to upgrade, or just throw on some slapper bars for now.

That would be fine if you aren't going to flog the car alot. But I would consider upgrading as soon as funds allow. Even upgraded springs can benefit from the simple 'slapper bars'.
Also, for $heets and giggles, I still have the 6 cyl C-4, I also have a v8 bellhousing for the C-4. Could I swap the bells and use the c4 for awhile? or is it just too light duty in 6 cyl form.

For just a "quick n dirty" engine install/drivable condition, yes you can do that, but keep in mind it wont hold up to much abuse. There are differences in the 6/v-8 c-4's. (beefer parts more disks in the packs etc) Go to really flogging on it and it wont live long at all. Just keep it in mind when/if ya go to try and do 1/8-1/4 mile jaunts or smoky burn-outs. You'll over come the clutch packs in a heart beat.
also, I would like to start building the car to hold alot of HP, where would be some good places to start beefing it up? I would like it to handle well, not just straight line.

Two different questions actually, but any build revolves around what the car's main purpose is. For added HP, getting/improving the breathing is the biggest gainer.

Handling is bigger sway bars/added sway bars, chassis stiffening, better shocks, good tire/wheel combo's.

HTH,

MRO.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great replies guys! Good to know I don't have to spring for springs :D right off the bat.

The AOD I have a line on was actually rebuilt and has a slight stall. It needs a stater (sp?) as it was damaged when the trans was removed. It was sourced from a trans shop a friend of mine owns, he offered it up as it was only a core to him. If it needs work he offered to show me what to do.

As for handling/HP I don't want to be 'that guy' that swaps in a v8 and doesn't do anything to any other part of the car.

I would like it to take the corners decently (a little zoomie on backroads when no one is around ;) ) and be fairly powerful. Nothing crazy right now, but something more than stock 6 banger as it is all apart at this point.

As far as I can see, there are no sway bars installed on this car. I will double check but I didn't notice any, front or rear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts