Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all quick question. My 460 in my pickup pings at certain mid throttle positions, and Im positve its being caused by the vacuum advance. I've tried to adjust it, but it dint help much. Currently its hooked to ported vacuum, will a swap to manifold vaccum fix this? I remember hearing somewhere that ported vaccum is higher then manifold vaccum at part throttle, but Im not sure. Figured you folks know best

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats all I needed to hear, Thanks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
The only problem with running off manifold vacuum is that it will be fully advanced at idle and lose advance as you increase rpm's. With ported vacuum, the vacuum increases as you increase the rpm's. So your advance would also increase.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 6/6/02 4:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I would keep it on ported vacuum and keep adjusting it lower until the ping goes away. If it's anything like my Mallory, you just stick an allen wrench down the tube where the hose hooks up on the vacuum canister and turn it clockwise for more advance, counter clockwise for less advance (hope I remembered that the right way).

·
Registered
679 Posts
I am a relative newcomer to this particular forum, but I have hung out at Ford-Trucks.com long enough to know that the question of which way to hook up a vacuum advance will never be answered to everyone's satisfaction. It is one of those topics that has diehard supporters on both sides of the fence. Put me down as a member of the manifold vacuum crowd. I am stubbornly old fashioned when it comes to my hardware and if it was good enough for my grandpa then it is good enough for me.
Danny

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FTE is a great site isnt it? I've been a part of them sence they were nothing more than a mailing list. Lots of good info to be had there! If you were on the lists back in the day, you'd know me as JumpinFord....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts