Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Vacuum vs mechanical secondaries on street engine

37K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  MarauderMan 
#1 ·
Hi all,
What are the opinions here on vacuum vs mechanical secondaries for a 100 percent street driven engine. I have a 1978 Mercury Zephyr with a 1989 Mustang 5.0L HO converted to carb. Currently I am running a Holley 0-1850 600 cfm vacuum secondary carb. The engine is 100 percent stock except for an Edelbrock Performer (not Performer RPM) manifold, and Duraspark dist with MSD 6A. T-5 manual trans and 3.27:1 Traction-Loc 8.8. The engine rarely sees over 5000 RPM. I want good low end response. The engine runs very well, but Ive never been sure the carb I have is the best street performance option.

Paul

1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Paul78Zephyr on 4/23/06 11:44pm ]</font>

See less See more
#2 ·
IMO, the only time a mech secondary would be a better choice is if you're racing.

All other things being equal, the mech secondary should make for a quicker e.t. by avoiding the secondary opening lag you find in the vacuum actuated secondary.

In most cases you can also get away with a slightly larger carb when using vac secondaries. Especially with a dual plane intake.

#3 ·
Vacuum secondary for the street. Especially with your needs.
The need for a mech secondary in reality is just for racing. Some have success in thier applications on the street ,but ive heard more issues against using them than for them.
And as far as the bog issue with vacuum sec , thats only an issue when its out of tune. A properly adjusted spring will not have any bog or "RUSH" when they open. The transition will be seamless.
On the issue of your carb, you might want to check out the Edelbrock performer (500cfm)or maybe the Holley Avenger (570cfm)series. They are much better driving carbs than the ol 1850.
good luck!

#4 ·
I've driven Mech secondary carbs on the street for 25 years, the racing only application is false. I enjoy the fact that my secondaries are opening mechanically and the bog that some mention is usually just a linkage or pump adjustment to correct. Relying on a vacuum to open my secondaries is an uncertainty IMO. The mech sec carbs are a nice option on the street and having 2 extra barrels instantly at the press of the accelerator is a greta way to go.

#5 ·
On 2006-04-23 09:08, 71hotrodpinto wrote:
And as far as the bog issue with vacuum sec , thats only an issue when its out of tune. A properly adjusted spring will not have any bog or "RUSH" when they open. The transition will be seamless.
I would agree that a "bog" would indicate inproper adjustment.

However, the vacuum secondary is dependent on engine demand before opening. Whereas the mech secondary opens based strictly on the linkage.

The mech secondary doesn't have to "wait"....that's why the e.t. should be better.

For a street car a vac secondary makes good sense.

#7 ·
On 2006-04-23 09:33, mstngjoe wrote:
On 2006-04-23 09:27, DrStang wrote:
... the racing only application is false.
Who said that?
71hotrodpinto said that..........I'll add my 2 cents worth by saying my car seems a little smoother to drive with a 3310 VS holley on the street but its quicker with my 650 DP.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 4/24/06 12:41am ]</font>

#12 ·
Vacuum secondaries are for people who don't know how to give the engine the proper amount of throttle and just like to mash their foot to the floor and let the carb do all the brain work. I think vacuum secondaries are OK when you've got an automatic transmission, but with a manual I wouldn't even consider running a vacuum secondary.

#13 ·
I don't know why I see so many people stating the 1850 is a POS?

Ive run them and my buddy runs one on his worked over 302 and straight loves it (13.6 e.t.). I never had a problem with them.

:edit: FWIW! I'm not saying a DP is bad. We just swapped out a POS edebrock 600 for a 650 DP spreadbore

1973 Gran Torino Sport (sold)

2004 Cobra
2004 Marauder

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wildosvt01 on 4/24/06 8:13am ]</font>

#14 ·
I have a 700 Holley DP on my '64 Galaxie with a 2V 351 C and a 4 speed, and a 750 Holley DP on my '70 Mach I with a 4V 351 C and a 5 speed and I drive them on the street alot with no problems, and the gas mileage is not bad on either. Is there anything else besides a double pumper?

#15 ·
My personal preference is a DP. I can feel the resistance in the pedal as the sec's open,allowing me to adjust my economy or "fun" factor as necessary.
Just to add confusion to DP vs VAC,.....68 shellbyGT350,306HP,725 holley with VAC sec's.....go figure.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: quickshift on 4/24/06 10:52am ]</font>

#18 ·
Ok well after reading all that i have to ask;
Why would this guy, who asked the question in the first place, run a mech sec Race carb on his stock 302?? especially after stating that the engine Rarely sees over 5000rpms?
Sometimes i think that we can get off on a tangent too easily...

#19 ·
Because he has a manual transmission and a light car... and mechanical secondary does not equal "race carb"... I'd say it's more of a "fun carb"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Motorhead on 4/24/06 12:56pm ]</font>

#21 ·
Dont forget, VS doesnt equal slow either. I run a 1000 HP series vac sec and when I hit my 489, its downright brutal as fast as you can shift.

I like a double pumper, but a VS on my car is a better match

#22 ·
Hi all,
Im the guy that started this thread. First let me say THANK YOU to all that replied. I know there is no 'right or wrong' answer to my question - and I appreciate the lively discussion that this topic created. Im sure that with the right carb and tune either a VS or DP would work good on my combo.

My Zephyr is a nice street car and that is what I built it for. I do not work it very hard - just the occational blast down the onramp to the highway. The car is very quick and lots of fun. As far as the styling - well I'll let you all be the judge. I know that most people either love it or think its stupid. To each his/her own I say.

Again thanks for thr replies. Please check out my car by clicking here:

Please click here to check out my ‘78 Zephyr at my crappy Cardomain webpage

Paul

1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Paul78Zephyr on 4/24/06 8:43pm ]</font>

#23 ·
On 2006-04-23 09:08, 71hotrodpinto wrote:
On the issue of your carb, you might want to check out the Edelbrock performer (500cfm)or maybe the Holley Avenger (570cfm)series. They are much better driving carbs than the ol 1850.
good luck!
I second this statement...although even with your near stock motor I'd go with at least a 650. I ran a 750 on a nicely warmed over 289 with a toploader 4spd and 3.50 gears, and the thing ran unbelievably well. Part throttle, full throttle, any throttle, and the thing flat ran. As a matter of fact, I switched from a 650dp that ran pretty well (no bog whatsoever), just to see...and was amazed at the amount of torque at off idle I gained. I could really feel it...as a matter of fact I had to adjust how I let off the clutch lol. I also gained quite a bit in mileage. We put a 650 Edelbrock on my dad's El Camino with a built 383 in it, and it runs incredibly smoothly, with penty of power across the rpm range. Much better than the Holley 650 we had on there. All in all, you might lose 3-5hp off the top end (not an issue in your application, and there is no loss in useable rpm), but the gains down low and in driveability more than make up for it. I'll never use another style carb on a street driven vehicle again =).

PS
No more blown power valves!!

=)

Cris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Is1BadFord on 4/25/06 7:44am ]</font>

#26 ·
We run a 600 DP on the 302, it drives nice and the car runs in the high 12's now. It runs quicker than it did with the Ed 600, but it stinks worse because they are built to run rich. Expect that with any stocker DP. It's a bit of a pain cold because I removed the choke plate but once the car is warm it starts with the touch of the key. The main deal is you can err high with a VS carb, you'd best err low with a DP. I run a 650DP on the Falcon, very happy with it. I built a 750DP using ProForm parts - still tuning that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.