Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man i thought i was a pro!
took off the oil filter on my super low 66, used a jack but only put it up a bit, got the filter off and put the new one on.

started her up and saw smoke but very little, i thought it could be from the valve cover swap i just did...till the oil hit my feet!
man i shoulda looked under the car like i usually do. and there sat 5 quarts of fresh clean clear oil on the ground.

turns out the old rubber filter gasket stuck to the block, so in being too confident and just putting the new filter on( not alot of head room to look up and around in that uncomfortable position, power steering hoses in the way and all, plus it was dark up there) i basically doubled them up and then she blew!.

i guess it could have been worse. but word to the wise..always check for the old rubber gasket that is supposed to stay attached to the oil filter! covered with oil i didnt even look at the old one.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Been there.

Done that.

7qt oil pan.

It sucks!

Cris

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Well, you'll be looking for the seal on all the rest of the oil filters you pull off cars from now on.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
At leasta you rembered to put a new filter on!! I did something similar but forgot a minor thing, the new filter!! LOL.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I saw the ol' "forgotten oil filter" trick done in a service dept I worked in. Kinda funny. Good flush for the engine, and a great way to check oil pressure LOL.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've heard of this happening to people more than a few times. Every time i change the oil on a car i always run a clean paper towel over the gasket sealing surface and triple check the cleanliness of this area. I make sure this area is absolutely clean before i even think about taking the new filter out of the box, then i check it a couple more times before i screw it on. Personally i don't see how someone can be so careless as to leave the old gasket on.

Matt

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Don't make fun of him for his shortcomings, maybe he'll straighten himself out one day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts