Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the paper this guy has a '57 F-100 and a ton of parts, one of the extras is a 428 CJ (not in the truck). He says he wont sell seperate at this time, you have to take everything. C6, 2- 350 Vett motors 1 cracked, TH350, ect.($2500) He is using the 428 as leverage to sell the other ****.

I don't need the engine at this time, but if I got a killer deal, I would stash it until then. What would be a price range for something like this? (I might make an offer), or would parts be to hard to come by?
or if going to a BF, just wait for a 460? saw one in the paper today for $500 (strong running).

Like I said I don't need it now, but sometimes a deal comes along that you can't pass up.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the truck has a Volare front clip, and he claims the truck is clean. It's an odd year for f-100's, I don't need another project yet, not that one anyhow.

so, would you take the 428 CJ, over the 460?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I would if its a complete 428CJ, they are getting scarce, 460's are everywhere. Just store it for awhile, sell everything else. Maybe someone later on will want a 428CJ for there Shelby or something.

Rick

·
Registered
557 Posts
You should pass on that so-called deal! For $2500 you can have a complete 460 that will destroy a 428CJ.

I can underSTANd that he's using the 428 for selling leverage....I would too, if someone is willing to pay outrageous amounts of money for something that they think will improve their life, I'd be happy to sell it to them!

"Cobra Jet" does not mean very much when it applies to the 428 FE....its still a two bolt main block with the same backwards oiling system as the standard 428.
It has marginally better heads than the standard version, and a better camshaft.

When talking about the 429 (385) series CJ...things are different...the heads are noticably different from the regular units, and for the 1971 model year, it sported 4 bolt mains.

Dont waste your money on the 428.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sounds like it could be a pretty good deal to me. As long as it's a legit and complete 428CJ. And it is in working or rebuildable condition. I.E. not blown up.

If the truck is in decent condition, you could resell it. Depending what year the vette motors are, you could probably get pretty good money for them. If you didn't want the motor for yourself, sell it to someone wanting one for a restoration project or just wanting the nostalga of a CJ.

If your wanting to get a motor for a race car or one with more power building potential for a cheaper price, go with a 460. Parts are more readily available and alot cheaper. Save the CJ for someone wanting it for a restoration project. But the potential is there to make money off of it.

A buddy of mine has a 69Mach1 he's had restored since high school. It's a factory CJ car but has a 351C in it because the prices of CJ's has scared him off of getting one for it. He's not into drag racing, he just wants it to run good and would like for it to be correct one day.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Before I plunked down the money, I would validate the engine as being truely a 428. HAve him get you the casting number of the block and heads. Another clue as to whether it is a 428 is the hatchet spacer between the the timing cover and the damper, also the flywheel will have weight(s) on it as all 428's were externally balanced.

With the castings number, ask the guys here in the FE forum what they think it is. If David Shoe replies, take it as gospel.

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/74182

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna talk to him this week end, I don't feel like dealing with someone elses junk. I'm not the kinda guy who buys and sells all the time. I would get it just to resale it, like Stanly said. If I was to buy a big block it would be for racing.

I'll let you know what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts