Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Does anyone really know that the valves or the hydraulic lifters will not adjusted if there are positive-stop rocker arm studs installed?
Only tightened/torqued to the shoulder of the studs and go...

Its a 302 with iron cast heads...

Thanks Martin from germany. Please excuse my bad english....

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Positive stop rocker studs are designed to be properly adjusted when tightened down all the way. This is with the stock, flat tappet camshaft. Using an aftermarket cam generally requires upgrading to an adjustable valvetrain.

Is the engine already assembled? Aftermarket camshaft?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

first of all, please excuse my bad English. I'm a German muscle car fan. I restored a 1964 Falcon. There is a 347 stroker installed.
The specs of the cam from enginetech:

Camshaft: Stage 2
Camshaft Specifications:
Type: (Stage 2)
.050" Duration (Int/Exh): 214/ 224
Cam Lift (Int/Exh): .296" / .311"
Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .478" / .498"
Lobe Separation (Int/Exh): 108/ 116
RPM Range 1200-4700
Hydraulic Flat Tappet

The engine is assembled.
I have no rollers only stock rocker arms with hydraulic lifters.

Thanks Martin.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
When adjusting the rocker arms, once all the clearance is taken up... there should be between 1/4 and 1 full turn of lifter compression. If your positive stop rockers are giving you this, they should be okay. If they are giving you more or less, you should convert to an adjustable valvetrain.

If you convert, an aftermarket set of heads would provide a TREMENDOUS performance increase. The stock heads are too small to properly ventilate a 302, let alone a 347. Edelbrock makes an E-Street cylinder head that would be perfect for your engine. It's their least expensive offering as well. Add a name brand set of roller, or roller tip rockers and the correct length hardened pushrods, and you're set.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts