Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started my 289 for the first time, Jasper Engines Stage 2 short block, Edelbrock 2.02 heads, Performer manifold and carb, Try-Y headers yada yada, and was getting a heck of a clatter from the valves on #7 & 8and running very rough. I readjusted them by this sequence. Brought #1 cylinder to TDC and went just a little past, about 20 degrees on the crank just to make sure I was off the lobe. I brought the rocker nut lightly finger tight just until it contacted the push rod and then went 1/2 turn more. I followed the fireing order all the way around and still had a clatter. What is happening is that when I thighten the rocker nut the lifter is not collapsing it is opening the valve instead. I then just brought the rocker nut up finger tight and locked it in place, runs much smoother and the clatter is gone. These are Harland Sharp roller's. What is causing this? I have 4 books for reference and each one describes this procedure differently but not the way that I finally ended up doing it. I pumped oil in the Comp Cams lifters before I put them in. I primed the oil system with a drill and primer adapter shaft. Any idea's or sugestions? Thanks from rainy Germany

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Well, your 2 lifters are rock hard from priming. I know this cause it happend to me as well. They will eventually bleed down. This is what Ive been told by a Ford Tech.
What was happening is that the lifter was hanging the valves open and not sealing the chamber.
I tried to do the standard "prime it till the oil shoots out the pushrods" while turning the crankshaft bolt 1/4 turn every few seconds of priming. Still got the "solid lifter effect" on 4 different lifters and i still didnt get the oil out all of the pushrods.
What Ive learned from this is that we need to not "OVER prime" just enough till the air is gone out of the pump and you feel major resistance on the drill then just a few seconds after that and stop.
my .02
good luck

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 5/28/06 3:07am ]</font>

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So my 4 minutes of priming was a bad thing? Why is it that every thing is a problem? Now I have a problem with the fuel pump giving too much pressure to tho carb. Elelbrock says that 6psi is the max, my Holley pump gave it 9 1/2 on first start and now I'm getting a hell of a racket after after about 1 minute of running. It appears that I'm dumping raw fuel into the cylinders and it can't burn it or compress it so a type of hydro lock is happening. Makes a hell of a noise! Sounds like the engine is going to self destruct. I've got a fuel pressuer regulator on the way but have I kiiled the carbs shut off valve?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hmm sounds like a question for an edelbrock tech. I dont think that you are having any sort of hydro-lock. If it had more gas than it could fire, then it would die.

What does the racket sound like? whats your oil pressure while running?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil pres is around 45psi but when I shut it off the engine the carb just floods with fuel, runs it directley into the carb, after shut down until the pressure bleeds off just dumping fuel into the carb. Pressure now is about 5 psi at 1500 rpm but on shut down is just runs ito the carb until it reaches zero psi on the pressure guage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts