Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a help. I’ve been recently rebuilding the C4 from 1981, which I want to put in my Mustang together with the 302/5.OL engine. After taking a closer look at it, I realized that I have to replace the valve body. In Poland, where I live, it’s a real effort to get this kind of it. I got one but it’s made for the C5. I wanted to ask you it would work if I put the valve body from the C5 in the C4 ?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The C5 valve body has a "piggy-back" valve to control the locking converter. you will need to have the locking converterand the C5 stator support. It is not a performance move - it will weaken the transmission.
What is wrong with your C4 valve body?
Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The previous owner had kept it somewhere in a humid place, most of valves and springs inside are rusty. I dont think it will work. Thanks anyway. I noticed today a slimilar valve body picture that i have, and there was written thai it is for C4, this guy who wants to sell me "c5" VB said that it is propablly from C5. After that i have checked.
(i havent got much kowledge about these trannys (about trannys at all
)), i was looking at this site what kind of VB i have, and i didnt find exactly the same as mine codes there. BUT i found there something, i suppose that this new VB that i have, is not C5 but C4, so now, i want somebody to tell my if i can change VB with different VB codes,
Can i replace
VBody code N5-A, bottom D2AP-AA, top D4AP-CA
with
Vbody code 4Y-A, bottom C9AP-E, top C8AP-B
??

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
It is very hard to tell sometimes from the casting codes.If you are able to take pics and email them to me i can post them on here or else help you identify them .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lock up in the C5 is totally centrifical and is all done in the converter.The extra piggyback on the valvebody has to do with shift timing upgrades.--Barry

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 63futura289 on 5/15/07 9:54am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
Ok the photos in the 4Y folder you sent are an early 66-69 type valvebody. It is the one where the manual valve has the spring loaded detent.

The second lot of pics in the N5 folder are a C4 valvebodyused from 72 up to 80's and will fit all later type cases C5 included.It has the manual valve that moves freely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts