Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 62 cruise o matic that I want to swap to a manual valve body.. What do I need to do to make that happen.. I called tci to see if they make a manual valve body for my com and they don't and can't make mine into one.. So where do I go now..thanks again guys for all the good info

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks kultulz.. I just called him and left a message so he should call me back 2maro so thanks again..

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
If this guy doesn't have the answer, there is none.

BTW- Just to make conversation while waiting, SELECT-SHIFT was available in some 1967 FX/MX models. I would think this is what you want for the street rather than an actual manual valve body (just guessing).

The 1964 THUNDERBOLT had a manual valve body HX trans in the AT offering. So anything is possible.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kultulz.. That guy said he can't help me and don't know who can,, so Iam stumped again..but thanks anyway..

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Kultulz.. That guy said he can't help me and don't know who can,, so Iam stumped again..but thanks anyway..
:confused:

...huh...?

I just exchanged an E-Mail with him about a month ago. What did you ask specifically?

Did he just say no to a full manual valve body? Do you know the difference between a DUAL-RANGE and SELECT-SHIFT AT?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kultulz..He didn't say much and was kind of short with me,,maybe just busy,, but no I don't on the trans can u school me a little? When I left him a message I might have said I needed a manual valve boby and he thinks full manual..

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The COM you have is most likely an FX (small case) and is DUAL RANGE. It has the odd shift pattern (Green Dot P-R-D2-D1-L). SELECT-SHIFT is like the later C6 performance whereas you could shift the trans (P-R-D-2-1) as a manual or let it shift itself. I think this is what you are trying to do?

There is no shift kit still available for the FX/MX. BROADER actually modifies the valve body to get the performance you want.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep I know it's a small case fx trans with the crazy shift pattern and I would like it to shift like a newer c6..If u read my tranny problem post Iam trying to help this tranny guy get the trans to shift all 3 times like it should he seems not to be able to get it right and he has had my car for a month trying to get it right..

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hmmmm so what you are saying is green dot white dot makes no difference? (I think thats what i gather) I am unfamiliar with the pattern that Kultz posted.... (maybe just havent seen/paid any attention to the different TYPES of patterns)

IE: the one in my '61 is PRNWhiteGreenL if i remember correctly... But anheisers has set in and I dont have the car handy to take a gander at...

·
Registered
861 Posts
I got a 62 cruise o matic that I want to swap to a manual valve body.. What do I need to do to make that happen.. I called tci to see if they make a manual valve body for my com and they don't and can't make mine into one.. So where do I go now..thanks again guys for all the good info
Your transmission is a dual range cruiseomatic.
The shift pattern is such.

PRNd2D1L.
Also known as green dot.

The first d past N starts the transmission in 2nd and shifts to high.

The next position,D, the transmission has all three speeds.

It is impossible to convert this valve body into a manual shift.

The FMX transmission is select shift with capabilities of holding 1st or 2nd.

The FMX valve body will not fit a dual range.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys I know what and how my tranny should work the problem is the tranny guy that built it can't get it to shift like it should.. First he had 1st and 2nd but no 3rd and now has 1st and 3rd but no 2nd I told him to check modulator valve and pin he did but still not working right but I know that the car has all three gears there he just can't get them all at the same time.. Between the first and second time shows the trans has all 3 gears

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Again, the 1967 FX/MX had an optional SELECT-SHIFT valve body. The 1968/ FMX was a modified FX with MX internals (all but rear pump).

This subject was posted earlier and the problem is not the valve body but an improper rebuild.

Did you ever call BROADER PERFORMANCE and discuss this with them?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep..this tranny rebuild is a nightmare..But I will figure it out..So Iam done!!thanks again guys

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got it!! He put the governor on upside down.. That may have had something to do with the problem ha..

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Got it!! He put the governor on upside down.. That may have had something to do with the problem ha..
I'll be...

Who discovered the problem?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He did after air checking it..I can't believe it took him that long to figure it out can u? I think I need a new tranny guy

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I've said it before, Some people have strange ideas on what is a rebuild.. If i made a stuff up like that i'd give it away :(

Good stuff at least you are fixed up

1 - 20 of 23 Posts