Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just got my AFR's and threw some clay on my short block to see how my piston to valve clearance ended up. I'm not sure if I have enough room, judging by the results. I'm running TRW small dome pistons(L2249) with some AFR 185's(2.02/1.60). The cam is a Comp XE282HR hyd. roller with .565/.572 lift, 232/[email protected], with a 112LSA. Now, I clayed two pistons, 5 and 8 on the drivers side of the block and found that the thinest margin was about 1/10-1/8in. This was closest at near the top of the valve where the valve relief is(note: there was plenty of depth under the valve, just the top where the relief rounded up was the questionable area). Is that enough area? I'm going to be running about a 6500-6800 shift point on this motor and don't want to risk a bent valve. Let me know what you guys think as most of you are running a lot more cam and rpm than me. Thanks for the help, it is really appreciated!

Dave

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Get a set of dial calipers, or just a cheep 6" machinists ruler (what I did) and make very accurate measurements. The closest the valve should be to the piston is .100" on the intake and .125" on the exhaust (some people go .080"/.100&quot
. Also you'll want to measure from the edge of the valve to the edge of the relief. I made sure I had about .060".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts