Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'll be putting my valve covers back on here soon but last time I had to glue those cork gaskets down on both sides so getting them off was a pain. They just seemed to leak no matter what and that stopped them.

I don't want to do that again so is it better to glue the gaskets down to the head and put the covers on or glue the gasket to the cover instead? I just don't want any leaks and rubber ones always seemed to leak no matter what so I use cork.
Any better ideas then how I'm doing it?

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Ricky.... Sometimes I just wanna punch you in the nards. ;)

You must FIRST make your valve cover bolt holes perform a Flat plane with the rest of the valve covers.

Flip them over and remove the nipples with a small hammer tapping them FLAT like the rest of the gasket surface.

Then put the cork on and bolt them down not to exceed about 2-6 ft lbs. Not even wrist tight, we're talking 2 inch long 1/4 inch drive ratchet and simply press the gasket between the VC and the head.

Nothing to it. They ALWAYS LEAK when you over tighten them!!!! ALWAYS.... :D

OK not simply go a tiny bit past snug then repeat after 5 minutes. no further than 1/4 turn on second round.

There is a VACUUM in the engine, so if you are leaking at the VC gaskets it's cause there is a GAP and the oil runs out after shutdown.

So if you GLUE it then you're not doing it right. There is absolutely NO pressure in there to push the oil out of you got more than 3 or 4 lbs of pressure on the gasket (be it cork or rubber or neoprene) then you got too much and there is an outlying problem.

That's just my two cents. :)

·
Subscriber
626 Posts
Ol' FE is dead on....

I never use a sealer even with alum. valve covers..

The most I ever do is put a small smear of oil on the head surface..

If it's metal valve covers, then make sure the rail/lip is flat..

Don't over tighten them !!!!

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Times eleventybillion. No sealer, FLAT surfaces, and if nobody said it - do not over-tighten! :D I use two fingers and thumb right on the ratchet head just a bit over finger tight. Tweak a bit more only if necessary.

David

Here's an oil pan with similar issues I'm straightening. Although it would probably seal OK at this point, I went a little further until there were no substantial highs or lows:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ricky.... Sometimes I just wanna punch you in the nards. :eek:

WOW! Glad your saying that with a smiling face.....FE did you have a tough day or what and leave my nards out of it....LOL! I like them just the way they are....SAFE and out of your reach! :D

I guess I should have told you they're aluminum valve covers and I'll try the finger tight approach and see what happens, I'm sure it'll work fine then. The way you explained how the oil can leak after shut down makes since.

Which gasket type do you guys like better?

If this doesn't work then I'm trying that expanding foam....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I tack the gaskets to the cover to hold them in place, I can remove and replace the valve cover without screwing with the gasket. Felpro has always worked for me. The ones I'm using currently have been on two motors with same covers. On and off, on and off, on and off,.......

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
I prefer rubber myself, but they all work. The Ford metal-reinforced rubber ones have a thin bead that helps to seal with light torque, but there are aftermarket ones with metal wire that are almost spongy like neoprene that work well and I've been using them lately. Put a straightedge on your cover rails to see if yours are warped. If they are and you can't tweak them, snugging the bolts at the highest points first to help straighten them on install often works. If they're a bad casting and too far out, you can try doubling cork gaskets with sealer, let 'em cure completely (or they will squirt inwards), then tack if necessary to the head as others said. It's pretty rare to have to go that far, but maybe you're the lucky boy.

David

FM Dictionary - Nards - (närdz) - Human body appendages used to distract assailants, preventing extensive damage to the face.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
The soft neoprene ones are the best for folks that aren't too gentle when installing them Rick.

I was just funnin with ya abotu ur nadz :) I know your poppa and figured that you'd be a bit heavy handed on them valve covers. :)

My favorite line from an adult cartoon is, "Every day with you is like a punch in the nards" LMAO So I had to say it.

Cork is hardest because it collapses a LOT before it get's spongy. Tighten a cork gasket, then after 5 or 10 minutes go another 1/4 turn or 1/2 on the nuts to snug it down, that's where you find your compression with cork.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
For us who can;t avoid overtightening, get the Mr.Gasket rubber valve cover gaskets, they have a "chid proof" metal washer built in around each cover bolt hole, almost impossible to screw them up, but still, 1/4 turn is the key. When i was trying to rid my mill of rocker clatter, I had the covers on & off a gizillion times with no leaks.
Also, you can buy a little flat "spreader thingy", which is no more than an elongated washer, that spreads the load of the cover bolt over the cover hole. If after all this you still get a leak, I will be second in the line up to kick you in the Nards!

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
OK, I've been this route many times myself and here is what I have found works the best: Quality cork gaskets such as Felpro glued to the rocker cover with Edlebrock Gasgachinch, tighten with a 1/4 " nut driver not a ratchet. Apply the Gasgachinch to the top of the gasket, place it on a flat surface, set the rocker cover on it with the holes all lined up, let it dry. The main reason for doing this is so you can remove the rocker cover as often as you need to without disturbing the gasket alignment and it makes it easier to reinstall. The first time you tighten the bolts, just snug them up a little. Then like FE says, go back two or three more times and re snug them after they have had time to compress. You'll be surprised how loose they get after settling down. I have been able to remove and reinstall aluminum rocker covers with the same gaskets installed like this over and over again for years.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No harm taken FE....I know how you fool around with everyone here, I'm sure you can't help it....LOL!
From what you guys are saying I've really been over doing it, of course I was that way with in my youth with certain bad habits. Somethings never change. :rolleyes:

I'll go easy on this set of gaskets and hope I didn't warp the covers.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Is it a small block? Are you using cast aluminum covers? If so use the late model silicone gaskets with the steel core. Will never leak and can be used over and over. Felpro sells them.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's difinitely a thingy.....we can't can't post pics of "nards" here can we FE.....LOL!

At least I wouldn't want to see any....:eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts