Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all,

My '63 is currently powered by a '68 390. The motor runs great, but I'd like to give it a more original look, i.e. black & gold paint scheme, original air cleaner, valve covers, etc. My question is this: How do I deal with the PCV system on my '68 motor if I put on '63 valve covers, which didn't have the PCV valve in them? Is there any way to do this, or is it just not possible/worth it.

On a related note, if anyone knows of any Thunderbird valve covers for sale, let me know.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
In order to get original look you'd have to find you an older intake as not only is there the draft tube thing to deal with but the oil filler neck is also through the intake not the valve cover. So without that you will be putting oil in it using a tiny tipped funnel into the dipstick tube as there is no access for that in original valve covers either. But i'm sure some others might have another idea maybe.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Like ShotRod64 said, you would have to find an earlier intake (60/64) and modify from there. The 60/62 road draft system can be updated to the later 63/64 PCV System fairly easy (kit available).

I can send tech and photos if desired.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Keep intake, get OLD non vented VC's, VENT THEM, then Filter ONE and PCV the OTHER.

Simple. Done. No bother other than putting a hole the nice round gorgeous VC's

OR!!!!!!

Get round non vented VC's, Get OLD school Road Draft intake. PLUG end of Draft tube, Install PCV in tube, Install Carb base plate with Vacuum for PCV. And you are done.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Keep intake, get OLD non vented VC's, VENT THEM, then Filter ONE and PCV the OTHER.

Simple. Done. No bother other than putting a hole the nice round gorgeous VC's

OR!!!!!!

Get round non vented VC's, Get OLD school Road Draft intake. PLUG end of Draft tube, Install PCV in tube, Install Carb base plate with Vacuum for PCV. And you are done.
...hmmpf...

You forgot to show how to on oil baffles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FE--your first option is exactly what I was thinking. I'm planning on replacing the intake, but instead of getting an old one with a road draft system, I'm thinking an Edelbrock Performer, which can come powdercoated black. Probably not the same finish as the Ford black, but close enough, maybe?

Has anyone ever seen this done with old, non-vented VC's? Does it look like hell?

This whole thing was sparked when I bought a 63/64 air cleaner cover the other day to replace the ugly, beat up Moroso one on the car now. Got my gears turning. I love Ford blue, but that black & gold look is so nice.

ShotRod, thanks for reminding me about the oil filler cap--forgot to ask about how to solve that mystery, too!

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
galaxz, kultuls showed us the early ford PCV system last month, I think I know what kind you have.

Once you fully get a grip on what the PCV system is designed to do, you can make your design to do just that.

There are some systems that are better than others, but with today's oil formulations the engine needs a lot more abuse than previously to sludge it's self up.

If using round covers you really need to place the pcv where there is the least amount of oil slush and build a baffle for it so you don't simply stream oil froth up into your combustion system.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
The way Stu has pictured you can have a hidden pcv so to speak and won't have to figure out how to get oil in it. Putting old VCs on there then drilling holes in them etc kinda defeats the whole purpose of using them in the first place. I vote if you want the look find an old intake. Enough people out there going to 460s or edelbrock intakes on the cars it should be kinda easy to find one i would think.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
FE--your first option is exactly what I was thinking. I'm planning on replacing the intake, but instead of getting an old one with a road draft system, I'm thinking an Edelbrock Performer, which can come powdercoated black. Probably not the same finish as the Ford black, but close enough, maybe?

Has anyone ever seen this done with old, non-vented VC's? Does it look like hell?

This whole thing was sparked when I bought a 63/64 air cleaner cover the other day to replace the ugly, beat up Moroso one on the car now. Got my gears turning. I love Ford blue, but that black & gold look is so nice.

ShotRod, thanks for reminding me about the oil filler cap--forgot to ask about how to solve that mystery, too!
There were two styles of PCV (intake manifolds) in this period, regular production and HP offerings. The EDLEBROCK intake will have no provisions for PVC or oil fill tube unless a very early casting and you would most likely have to machine for those. I would try for the later 428 alum intake.

Let me post some more info this weekend. The carb and spacer you bought is correct. The choke cap needs to be thrown into a field but you have the correct start.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
And yes, you can either paint or powder coat the intake for that stealth look... ;)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I would think if you go powder coat would be the more durable, and it can be had in different "shines' . IE GLOSS, SEMI GLOSS, SEMI FLAT, FLAT, ULTRA FLAT. etc...

I had kept a couple of old dead stoves around here for the longest time for powder coating, but never got far enough along to get that far. ( the stove tops had problems but the ovens worked fine, they were electrics) I just tossed em a couple years ago, but thats an idea if you end up getting an old intake somewhere and want it P/C'ed... (the powder coat kits can be had reasonably from various sources). M2C

·
Registered
925 Posts
You did good on that carb, spacer and pcv, they get stupid money for those autolite carbs sometimes. I paid 20.00 for an old cast iron FE 4 bbl at the pic a part to get the pcv system as my 61 has the road draft. Trying to decide if it is worth it to use the cast iron 4 bbl. I also want to retain the fill tube and get some chrome baldy valve covers.
Mike

1 - 20 of 68 Posts