Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where I can find a tool for reducing the height of a valve guide?

At max lift my valve spring retainer is contacting my valve stem seals. I talked to Crane about it and they said Manley makes a tool you can use to shorten the height of the valve guide. They said it was something you use at home with a drill. I need my valve guides to be about .050" shorter.

I talked to Manley and they say they don't make it anymore.

Crane only makes one valve lock for this retainer so I can't just get a 0.050" higher valve lock.

Seems like reducing the height of the valve guide is the easiest answer. I was hoping to get a tool and avoid going to the machine shop.

Any ideas?

paulie

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Probably Cheaper to have a shop do it, tool's probably $100-125

Try Edge Tool

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Paul. That seems kinda strange. Every FE head I've put together seemed to have a lot of space between the retainer and seal. The one I just stuck on has around 1 inch of clearance.

You might also look at different seals especially if you're running the teflon ones. The viton seal gives about .02 more clearance and the K-line seals give even more. Just a thought. Good luck!!

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Comp Cams also has the tool. are guides cut for a .530 or .500 seal? if so like what was shown, a shorter seal can save the day.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Paul. That seems kinda strange. Every FE head I've put together seemed to have a lot of space between the retainer and seal. The one I just stuck on has around 1 inch of clearance.

You might also look at different seals especially if you're running the teflon ones. The viton seal gives about .02 more clearance and the K-line seals give even more. Just a thought. Good luck!!
Hey Earl! My new Crane retainers (#99634) have a much taller inner step than my old Manley ones. It's about .090" taller. That combined with my new cam having about .020" more lift was enough for the inner step to contact the seal. They are viton's by the way. It doesn't look like the K-line seals will give me enough clearance. I like the idea though. That would've been the simplest solution. I dunno. Looking again at the K-line, it does look quite a bit shorter than the viton. I don't suppose you could measure it?

Thanks.

paulie

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Comp Cams also has the tool. are guides cut for a .530 or .500 seal? if so like what was shown, a shorter seal can save the day.
I think the guides are cut for .530" seals. Thanks for the tip on Compcams. I will check their tool out too.

paulie

·
Registered
75 Posts
The total height of the Viton is .532 and the K-line is .414. The difference would be less if both sit down fully on the guide.

One thing about the Viton seal is due to the height of it, if you use shims, it might not seat fully. Are you able to get the Viton seals down all the way?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The total height of the Viton is .532 and the K-line is .414. The difference would be less if both sit down fully on the guide.

One thing about the Viton seal is due to the height of it, if you use shims, it might not seat fully. Are you able to get the Viton seals down all the way?
As I remember it, my seals are way up above the head, not anywhere near the level of the shims and valve locator. So I think my seals are fully seated. Maybe the machine shop put really tall valve guides in my heads? I'll take a look. Thanks again!paulie

·
Registered
75 Posts
That makes sense about the guide height because you should have a lot of space between the retainer and seal.

Photo of guide at about the right height. The Edelbrock guides have a groove that shows up if you drive it up too high. These can be driven up about another .03 before that groove becomes visible.

With the spring seat in place. The fully seated viton seal goes to just about the endo of the grooved area on the guide.

If the guides are too high you can get one of these and drive them to the proper height with a regular hammer or an air tool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts