Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered a broken valve spring on my brand new TFS heads. Talk about learning to adjust valves the hard way! I ordered up a new one. I ve never done this before, and i was hoping you guys could give me a walkthrough so i dont make an even bigger mess than i have right now. i plan on renting a valve spring tool. thanks -Joe

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
If you dont have one of those nifty tools that screws into the plug hole, and attaches to an air hose to keep the valve from fallin, heres an easy solution. Run the piston in the affected cylinder to BDC or close to it. Get yourself 50 ft of cotton clotheline twine. feed as much if not all you can into the cylinder, except for 6 inches, tied to a bolt to prevent it from going all the way in. Long shot, but can happen. Turn the motor over (BY HAND) and push that twine as tightas possible in that cylinder. It'll hold the valves up and you can do anything ya want.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Okay, the string thing was interesting. Kinda like something I would try.

You should find out exactly why the spring broke in the first place. If you had too high a lift, you may have damaged other stuff like the lifter, rocker stud/bolt, etc.

Since you know you need a spring compression tool, I will assume you know how to get the springs off/on.

Since you have the valve seal exposed, you might as well replace that too since they are cheap. And remember to check the bind height of the new spring matches your existing springs.

That's the important stuff anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another thing you might want to have checked is your cam spring combo. the springs you have maybe the wrong ones for your cam you have. Springs require a different installed hight from one spring to another if you are haveing trouble with lift the retainers would hit the valve guides and bust them and the seals would be gone too bent pushrods too.

·
Registered
777 Posts
More than likely, if the heads were bought assembled, and since one spring already broke, I would replace them all. They dont usually put very good springs on with those assembled and ready to run deals.

I know if one spring breaks on my racecar, they all get replaced and the old ones get pitched, and I know where those springs came from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts