Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a new set of springs and they shipped today.

One other thing that came up talking to the Summit tech is that I probably have had times when I let the engine sit for too long without loosening up the rocker arms. This was when I was in the middle of all that sheet metal work. I did crank the car fairly regularly but I probably helped kill my springs doing that.

This does bring up a question I forgot to ask them. On a drag car that is put up over the winter should I be loosening the rocker arms after season is over? This year we never had a closed track and if the weather is good enough that will continue to be the case. Still, if I'm going to set the car up for more than a month or 2 months should I back off the poly locks or what time frame do you start considering doing that if you can't crank up the car and run it for a while?

As soon as my new springs are on I'm headed to the chassis dyno. These are obviously Chevy people from looking at their site so I hope they will allow my Ford to get on the rollers. I'm getting excited. I've never had this set up dyno'd before. Already checked and they can handle open header cars. I probably should go ahead and weld an O2 sensor bung on before I go over there. Forgot to ask that.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
My mustang with a 427 sat for 5 years in a trailer. When I bought it we took heads off and checked the coil bind on springs. 3 of them was at below 200 so we shimmed all to get 240. I ran car 2 times and checked the springs again. The same 3 was down below 160. I would think after all that sitting the springs went away. Not going to run car till new springs are added. I found a set of ebay but cam was 600 lift, mine is a 7/11 hm cam so need stronger springs. If I were you after you put car away back the rockers away , does not take alot to readjust them.

You will get your best pull on dyno when car is tied down in third gear assuming you have a streight drive tranny. Just my thinking

·
Registered
674 Posts
I own sedverl boats. Putting them away for the winter use fogging oil into the carb / injection. Stablize in the fuel (have heard nothing works all that well with gasahahaul. Usally back off the rockers and turn the engie a 1/4 turn or so every so often. Change oil just before shutting off. Most synthetics are best. Fire up in the spring then adj rockers fire up and change oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts