Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you recall, my dads 67 stang, 289/C4, has been making a ticking noise. It is not there when you start it up cold, but it will slowly get louder as the car runs for a minute or two. I adjusted the hydralic lifters a couple of weeks ago. I took off both headers. All of the gaskets were sealed up good. I shined a flashlight up the collectors, and could not see any leaks. I unpluged one cylinder at a time, and ran it, and the tick was still there. With a hose to my ear, I heard it the most at the valve cover, and where the four tubes go into the collector. So now I am thinking its the valve train, and the noise is being carried through the exhaust?

I have the intake off now, and I was wondering what to look for. A collapsed lifter? How do I tell if its collapsed? Will it be obvious? Should I take all of the lifters apert? Should I check the preload first?It has the rail type rockers- the ones that dont use the head as a guideplate. Anything else?

1964 Comet 289 C4/3000 stall daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 6/16/02 8:28am ]</font>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.