Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The break-in instructions I received with 9" trac-loc are very specific about using Valvoline pt# 825 85W-140 gear lube.

Valvoline Canada tells me this particular lube is no longer avialable. Diff. guy told me don't use synthetc.

Any suggestions for gear lube.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Dang! That is the exact stuff the builder told me to use on my new 9" detroit locker for break in.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Since you are installing a traction lock (which has clutches), be sure that whatever type of fluid you substite has the friction modifier in it-most will tell you if they are good for posi's. Otherwise hop down to Ford and purchase a bottle. One bottle (kind of small) is all you will need for 1 installation.

Synthetic lube is not normally recommended for traction locks. IIRC, it has something to do with it being too slippery for the clutches to work properly.

65' Stang

393 Stroker, Toploader 4 spd, 9" 3:70 rear.

Victor Jr. Knockoff Heads, 282S cam, Stealth Intake, Bigs Stage 5 750DP, Accufab Headers, Scattershield, Caltracs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 6/17/06 7:40pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oops

The 85W-140 is for circle track cars.

Actually supossed to use pt#831 80-90W

·
Registered
331 Posts
FYI--My 2005 F150 Supercrew has sythetic fluid in the rear. 3.55 TracLok. I haven't changed to it, there is a metal tag on the rear stating that is sythetic.

Further, the additive [which works by the way to stop chatter, etc] makes the rear axle lube "slippery" to prevent the chatter of the clutches grabbing and releasing on turns.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My 03 Mustang GT is the same way, as I found out when I tried to change it. No drain or fill plugs. I "love" low maintenance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts