Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 68 302 2bl with 114k. I`m trying to figure out if this is a fuel problem or electrical problem. After I start my car and it warms up, I can take it for miles and miles on the highway but once I get off the highway at about 30 mins into city driving at a random light the car would shut off. When I start it, it will start right back up (always starts back up) and keep on going. Yesterday drove it about 30 miles and it stalled in the city about a dozen times and the temperature was about 65 degrees out. First the stalls were far apart and the more i drove it became to a point where it would stall fire up and die instantly. After being parked for 3 hours temps dropped to 50 degrees and the car ran fine back home the whole time, does not stumble or shutter before stall.This is what I have changed in the engine (everything else should be presumed original from 68):
battery
new Block to ground cable to battery
new positive cable to battery
new starter solenoid
new mech. fuel pump
2 year old ac delco alternator with only 1k miles on it (charges between 13.1 to 14.1 when driving)/battery/voltage regulator .
New spark plugs, distributor cap, plug wires, air cleaner, rotor.
new water pump/radiator/tstat/ cooling hoses
new carb ( 3 days old but problem was happening with old carb)

-With that being said I have not changed the frame to starter solenoid ground and a friend in the car said it could be the alternator ( Tested the alternator new out the box at autozone it passed except except failed the regulator test but that is because the car has an external regulator) but why would it act normal when temperatures dropped? is this vapor lock? bad timing? there is no sputter when it stalls.

·
Registered
46 Posts
At those temps I am pretty sure you do not have a vapor lock issue. Since it fires up right away, I would believe the fuel system is ok. I would think your coil is going out. The small amount of down time lets it cool slightly and fire up till it gets warm again.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Def not vapor lock...temps to cool, changed fuel pump, and it starts right back up.

Coil or ignition box if its been changed to electronic....Other then that, just check the wiring harness for a bad wire, or connection,,,wire thats grounding out intermittantly with movement or vibration..

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
Just when my coil bit the dust I put my hand on it and it was 1,000 degrees. Try it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts