Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to put good heavy rear springs in rear of 1966 galaxie for racing.
I have heard people talk about heavier springs from moog or federal. Looked them up and they list constant or variable, read what each one is described as.
On one hand a "constant" rate seems like what i would want for launching, but then "variable" says it has the ability to handle heavier loads so...

What says yall?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
My guess is it would be much harder to tune the suspension with the variable rate springs. I have the Moog Cargo Coils in my car and they are great at keeping the rear from dragging when the car is fully loaded. It was perfect for when I was in university and making the nine hour trip, with all my possesions, twice a year. However, if I was racing and wanting to tune and adjust the handling, I think I would want a constant rate spring and good, probably adjustable dampers to keep things predictable. The ultimate would probably be switching to a coil over set up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Variable spring rates are better with full coil over kits and shocks/struts tuned to work with them. I built an old Volvo to race on the road and after messing with different spring/shock combos in the rear, I went with a constant rate spring. Much more predicable in handling, stance, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts