Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Velocity Stack / Air bells. Anyone using? Wondering if i could possibly drop a little E.T. with one. Anyone have any insight? Thanks. -Joe.

·
Registered
502 Posts
the k&n stubstack has worked for me in the past. if there is one to fit your carb you might try one.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
K&N stubstack worked for me also and it will fit inside a 3 inch high filter.
Now with my HP carb I made sure the new K&N filter base had a formed bell at carb inlet to help direct the air.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about the quickfuel air bell since i dont run an air cleaner. have you seen it? what do you think about it. couldnt find a sub stack for a 4150 with no choke horn

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I don't think they would really help that much on a normal 4bbl caburetor... too large of a diameter to really build any kind of velocity for harmonic tuning. If they DID do anything, I would have noticed it with the 2 foot long 5" hose on my ram-air setup.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I'll scrap the idea. Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Joe30690 on 7/13/06 6:26am ]</font>

·
Registered
908 Posts
The velocity stack is not designed to be a tuned induction piece, rather a smoother way to cram more air down into the carb.

They do in fact work, and they work well.

If you have the room to use one, you'd probably see some improvement at the track.

Greg

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Also, I think I remember seeing a test done by Car Kraft or Hot Rod magazine, where they compared no air filter, K&N stub stack, K&N High flow filter lid, and different combinations, and they found that a 14x4" air cleaner with the stub stack made a significant improvement over no air cleaner at all. Given that info, you might consider running an air cleaner vs. nothing at all, since you'll be saving your engine from dirt/debris AND adding some power.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is true but I'm pretty sure Holley does'nt make a sub stack for a HP carb. Or do they? Which may not matter. I'd imagen that the base plate straightens the air flow a sufficient amount, the top of the 1000cfm HP main body is pretty smooth and flow friendly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Joe30690 on 7/13/06 8:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was told that you would probably see it on a dyno but at the track you probably wouldn't see it on your time slip.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah that car craft article about air cleaners was cool. makes you think...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts