Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not looking for housing info. I'm looking for actual axle shaft specs. Moser knows but Strange is $100 cheaper but say they don't have stock dimensions. Looking at their form is awefully complicated. If I had the stock measurements I feel confident that they would fit. Thanks.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Not looking for housing info. I'm looking for actual axle shaft specs. Moser knows but Strange is $100 cheaper but say they don't have stock dimensions. Looking at their form is awefully complicated. If I had the stock measurements I feel confident that they would fit. Thanks.
you got the housing , know what brakes and center section ? thats info gives the axle specs

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
The Versailles axle is a good 'car show' modification, but in real life they are extremely heavy, parts are hard to find, and they use oddball axles. Plus, the rear disk brakes on them are early stuff, and aren't the most reliable or high performing.

If you aren't already married to this type of axle, you're ahead to use something else.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The Versailles brakes are heavy.

I replaced the Versailles brakes with the rear disks from a 94-04 Cobra.

They are small, light, easy to service and work better than the Versailles.

Mike, what makes the Versailles axles "oddball"?

IMG_0911.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
The Versailles brakes are heavy.

I replaced the Versailles brakes with the rear disks from a 94-04 Cobra.

They are small, light, easy to service and work better than the Versailles.

Mike, what makes the Versailles axles "oddball"?
From what I remember, they are at least a non-standard length. I was thinking they were different somehow else as well, but I could be mistaken. A call to Moser, Strange, etc would likely clear up any issues if a person wanted to upgrade to 31 spline.

You did well by upgrading the brakes. Of course, aftermarket brakes can be added to standard housings as well.

What kind of fabrication was needed to mount the Cobra units?

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I bought my moser axles on eBay, for around $300 the bearings were not cheap, but I got the rear end for free from a buddy and spent about $2000 bucks by the time I was done converting it to 31 spline Detroit Locker and all new bearings and brakes

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
From what I remember, they are at least a non-standard length. I was thinking they were different somehow else as well, but I could be mistaken. A call to Moser, Strange, etc would likely clear up any issues if a person wanted to upgrade to 31 spline.

You did well by upgrading the brakes. Of course, aftermarket brakes can be added to standard housings as well.

What kind of fabrication was needed to mount the Cobra units?

Good Luck!
Not much in the way of fabrication, I used the Northern Race Cars caliper brackets, Mustang Steve also sells a variation, so that aspect is a simple bolt on. (I did drill 2 new holes in the bracket so I could rotate
the caliper to a better position).

The original e-brake was either too long or too short, so I replaced the rear e-brake cables with some new surplus cables I picked up a princess auto for $5 each. The e-brake now works great, and I have to admit the Versailles e-brake did not work well.

I was able to do the swap for "free" after selling the Versailles brakes.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Using the moser order form that SlowPoke posted as a reference-

long axle
C) 30 1/16
K) 27 13/16
B)2 1/4

short axle

C)26 1/8
K)23 7/8
B) 2 1/4

If you need deminsions A,J,and H I can post them later.

I agree with what everyone else is saying about the brakes.They are heavy,ineffective and the parking brake can be finicky.
I ebayed mine years ago (for good money:)) and swapped on 11" drums and have never regretted it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts