Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Versailles Axle dimensions?

16K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  montybrown 
#1 ·
Not looking for housing info. I'm looking for actual axle shaft specs. Moser knows but Strange is $100 cheaper but say they don't have stock dimensions. Looking at their form is awefully complicated. If I had the stock measurements I feel confident that they would fit. Thanks.

#5 ·
The Versailles axle is a good 'car show' modification, but in real life they are extremely heavy, parts are hard to find, and they use oddball axles. Plus, the rear disk brakes on them are early stuff, and aren't the most reliable or high performing.

If you aren't already married to this type of axle, you're ahead to use something else.

Good Luck!

#7 ·
The Versailles brakes are heavy.

I replaced the Versailles brakes with the rear disks from a 94-04 Cobra.

They are small, light, easy to service and work better than the Versailles.

Mike, what makes the Versailles axles "oddball"?
From what I remember, they are at least a non-standard length. I was thinking they were different somehow else as well, but I could be mistaken. A call to Moser, Strange, etc would likely clear up any issues if a person wanted to upgrade to 31 spline.

You did well by upgrading the brakes. Of course, aftermarket brakes can be added to standard housings as well.

What kind of fabrication was needed to mount the Cobra units?

Good Luck!

#8 ·
I bought my moser axles on eBay, for around $300 the bearings were not cheap, but I got the rear end for free from a buddy and spent about $2000 bucks by the time I was done converting it to 31 spline Detroit Locker and all new bearings and brakes

#10 ·
Using the moser order form that SlowPoke posted as a reference-

long axle
C) 30 1/16
K) 27 13/16
B)2 1/4

short axle

C)26 1/8
K)23 7/8
B) 2 1/4

If you need deminsions A,J,and H I can post them later.

I agree with what everyone else is saying about the brakes.They are heavy,ineffective and the parking brake can be finicky.
I ebayed mine years ago (for good money:)) and swapped on 11" drums and have never regretted it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.