Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to find the later style 8" diff gear cases locally in junk yards? I have the '65 case with only the horizontal ribs and would like to upgrade.
Looks like Currie has them on hand for $60 but I'd like to get one locally if possible. Hard? Easy?
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Any Maverick/Comet that had an 8" rear had them. So did Granadas, Monarchs, Mustang 2, etc. Basically most 70's mid-size cars that had 8" rear ends had the vertical ribbed cases.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The later 8 inch 3rd member shouldn't be too hard to find. Today while getting a driveshaft at the local Pic A Part I spotted several 8 inch rears. They aren't nearly as many as a few years back though.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I'm encouraged enough to hit the Pick A Part. I didn't realize how many cars got the 8 and I got some bad info from a differential place.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Ya know I used to have about a dozen or so laying around (spare parts...we used 8" rears in the race cars for years...even had a few 1.3X 60' times in a Maverick on a 4.62 8&quot
. I sold most of them for scrap iron a while back in an attempt to clean up the shop. I imagine shipping one wouldn't be cheap anyway.

OT--I didn't throw out the old Powerglide transmissions. Those things are getting to be gold if you part them out on Ebay. But I still have a few stashed...just in case I need a planetary or case for the Maverick.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
IIRC, older Mustang II rears often had a decent street ratio too--3.55's??????

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
On 2006-06-21 02:37, dennis111 wrote:
IIRC, older Mustang II rears often had a decent street ratio too--3.55's??????
As far as I know only the V-6 cars (which are fairly rare) had 3.40 gears.The 4 bangers and V-8s had the typical 2.75-3.00 gears.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2006-06-20 06:59, thekingofazle wrote:
It's too bad you're in Cali, I've got one from a '67 laying around the house.
I'd like to see if we can "make a deal". The Fresno Pic A Part and the Fresno Pick 'N Pull have zero 8 inchers. About a dozen nines and more Tauruses (Tauri?) than you can count but no eights.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
If you're interested in a 3.00 I've got an extra one you can have for $50 + shipping.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On 2006-06-20 19:33, mavman wrote:
I imagine shipping one wouldn't be cheap anyway.
I hope I'm not off on this but the USPS Parcel Post info on the web seems to indicate otherwise. Jim, thanks for the offer, please email me and we can work on the details.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Not that pintos are easy anymore to find but the later v6 models and some station wagons have them as well.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Not that pintos are easy anymore to find but the later v6 models and some station wagons have them as well.
Good luck

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Don't forget to look under Torinos, Fairlanes, Falcons, Comets. Lots of them had 8" in them too. I have a 71 Torino that has a 8" 3.00

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd like to see if we can "make a deal". The Fresno Pic A Part and the Fresno Pick 'N Pull have zero 8 inchers. About a dozen nines and more Tauruses (Tauri?) than you can count but no eights.
I have a few 8" 2.79's in the garage - not sure if it they are verticle rib but I will check. I live in Sac but will probably be driving to Fresno near the 4th of July. I'm sure we could arrange drop off.

I used to comb the pick-a-parts in Fresno in the 1990's. There were always a few Mustang II's lying around but I guess these times are changin'...

I'll check this evening.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts