Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried starting the 85 5.0 HO thats in my 63 fairlane. While the motor was out, i put trick flow twisted wedge heads on it, re-using the stock hydraulic roller lifters. I replaced the push rods with the rcommended length Trick Flow push rods. I also installed the trick flow stage 1 cam. I started the motor, and was alarmed by a high pitched squealing noise. the motor did not run for more than 15 seconds. After puling a valve cover i observed that very little oil was coming up over the lifters. I primed the pump with a drill while the valve cover was off, and the oil was trickling out of the pushrods, but not nearly as much as i imagine there should be. Im nervous and baffled. PLEASE HELP ME figure out whythe oil isnt making it up top!!! thanks in advance- joe

·
Registered
582 Posts
do you have an oil pressure gauge hitched up? And if so what is the oil pressure when
you spin it with the drill?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't hooked up an oil pressure gauge, but the pump was working fine before the new heads and stuff, it has very few miles on it. Could this possibly be associated with rocker arm adjustment and/or lifters? I really need some help on this one, my boss is breathing down my neck to get the car off the shop floor! PLEASE HELP! thankyou -joe

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Some of my Trickflow pushrods have some sort of grease in the oil holes. Maybe they are cloged up? Are all of the rockers getting the same amount of oil?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Was the engine rebuilt? Yes you could have the valves adjusted to tight. If the engine was rebuilt they might have but the cam bearings in wrong, I have seen this done many times. Is the oil pump gasket on correctly? Do you have approx. 3/8" clearance from the pick-up screen to the bottom of the oil pan? I would make sure you have oil pressure first.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While the motor was out, all i did was the heads, cam, rockers, and pushrods. The oil pump and cam bearings should be fine, as they were working fine prior to the swap. How does rocker arm adjustment affect oiling, in other words, how do i have to adjust them to improve my situation? -joe

·
Registered
582 Posts
Joe,

I like to adjust my lifters with the engine running. First if you have an old set of valve covers you can cut the top off of one so you have access to the rocker arm nuts with the valve cover on. This will keep the oil from going all over the engine (less messy). If you don't have an extra set of valve covers then cardboard will work. Take some cardboard and cut it to fit on the exhaust side of the heads in between the rocker arms and the lip on the head where the valve cover bolt holes are. The cardboard should be about 3" high or so. This method is more messy, but it will work in a pinch.
Now with the engine running (do one side at a time)loosen up one rocker arm nut until the rocker starts to clack, then tighten the rocker arm nut just until the rocker stopes to clack and then go 1/2 to 1 full turn more with the rocker arm nut. Do this for all 16 rockers and your done. Good luck.

Jim

67 Mustang Fastback w/351-C and 5 speed
34 Ford 3 window coupe 5.0 AOD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: coupe3w on 1/14/02 9:28am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The high pitched squealing noise is a very bad sign. It could be a vacuum leak drawing air and making it squeal which is about the best you could hope for. If its some sort of dry metal to metal contact squeal then something inside your motor is toast now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The high pitch noise is a mystery!! NO if your valves are too loose or too tight you would have a popping condition are no run condition!!!It's not in valve adjustment!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
The squealing noise would worry me! Are you sure the belts are tight? Vaccum leak? There
isn't a alot of oil that comes out of the pushrod/rocker assembly. Get a oil pressure
gauge on tha motor and verify your getting enough oil. Check the whole engine over for rubbing, slipping, leaking stuff that could
explain the noise.

Regards,
Billgear
www.289mustang.com

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions. The oiling problem somehow worked itself out, making a mess of my engine compartment, but im relieved. i imagine it had somethjing to do with the lifetrs filling up. The noise however is not such good news. After getting in the car i discovered that i could stop the noise by holding the shifter as if i were going into gear, but not actually putting it all the way into gear. Ater runing the motor for about 45 seconds, i noticed that all the tranny fluid leaked out of my T-5 onto the shop floor!! The unit is a rebuilt with 0 miles on it. Im going to call in the warranty tomorrow and hopefully scare them into getting me another one FAST. If anyone knows what may have caused this, id be interested to know. Im 99.9% sure it was not my fault! the tranny installed easily, and i used Mobil 1 ATF thanksagain -joe

·
Registered
74 Posts
TheUnFairlane, the noise could have been bearings with lack of oil causing that high pitch noise!!!Glad you have pressure now!!!!

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Wow ... nothing personal ... But I can't imagine firing up a motor with out an oil pressure gauge and without priming the engine oil system first.

I would recommend (for future reference) crank the oil pump with a drill (counter clockwise) until you see pressure on the gauge and oil through the rockers ... prior to firing it up ... Wheew wee ... Glad to hear things are improving, on the engine anyway

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I Actually did prime the pump with a drill for a good couple minutes before starting, but your advice is definitely well taken, the "i think im gonna puke" nervousness about me fouling up this (my first) cam install and ruining the bearings makes whatever the gauge costs well worth it! Ive heard the first time is the most stressful and difficult. I started the motor again tonight and its amazing how much different it sounds with the new heads and cam, im really excited. Eagerly awaitng spring! thanks for the help guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts