Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auto part Pipe Fuel line

Hey I got a small oil leak I noticed the cross bar on driver side is wet with lil oil so I checked everywhere then I found the part that is bolted to block(see pic). It is close to the oil sending unit also close to bottom radiator hose. I took the pic while laying under the car of course looking up. So what is this called and Is there some type of gasket for it? Also is that normal to have a leak from that part?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
fuelpump gasket..
maybe all you have to do is ,tighten bolts a little.....
if that dont work ,,replace gasket...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
X-2... 1/2" wrench and snug it a touch more. Dunno might be able to sneak a 3/8 drive socket short extension and use a ratchet also... but the gasket will be cheap to replace if thats what you end up doing,

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Will that leak cause poor gas mileage?
No, only oil. However, the pump body does have a tiny relief hole to vent the diaphragm. If there is damage to the pump diaphragm, fuel will squirt from the relief hole, destroying your mileage, as it leaves your fuel along the road. Depending on the failure, the fuel may also (or instead) flow into your crankcase. Big clue: Do you smell fuel? Pull your dipstick - is the level high? Does it smell like fuel? With the engine running—can you see any wetting, drips or leaks while watching the pump and area under it?

David

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Unless it is messing up the driveway.... I'd leave it be.

Replacing the gasket is a pretty tough job. Even if the four things that usually go wrong, don't, it is a half-day affair..

Getting some ratchet extensions and ightening the offending bolt might work, as suggested. But as MrOld says, tighten just a tad. Seems to me the housings for those bolts are aluminum or for whatever reason it is easy to strip the threads on them. If that happens it will lead to a major operation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.