Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get the gal up on the highway, she comes with a vibration. BbbRrrrrr for 2-3 seconds, then another, then another.. 2 second cycle at 70 mph, 3 second cycle at 50. It doesn't quit, either. Mostly I feel it coming up through the seat, though it is strong enough my hands on the wheel will be shaking with it.

I have been dutiful on the front, replacing most everything except the springs and lower ball joints. On the rear all I've done is replace the brakes and transmission and driveshaft. I looked in the rear end and the oil is about 1 inch below the hole.

Looking for some ideas for what the problem might be.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check your wheels . I have a 72 gran torino and it had cragers un a lug wheels and even though they were flat they were not centered causing an vibration around 60 and let up around 70. Took wheels off and cleared up

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
^ yeah.

Also - swap your wheels front to back and see if it changes, . . . its free and will get you closer to finding the issue

L

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
If none of those work you can rotate the driveshaft. Unbolt it and turn it 180° and reinstall it.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. lots of good stuff to try here!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have now owned 7 60 - 61 Galaxies and all but one of them had that same vibration, shake then smooth out then shake again. I have found that if U-joints or tires and wheels do not cure it I start next with the rear wheel bearings. That cured two of my cars, the other 4 all had bad pinion bearings.
I hate changing pinion bearings!

Scott...

·
Registered
695 Posts
I looked in the rear end and the oil is about 1 inch below the hole.
I can't believe that nobody said anything about this. If you are talking about the fill hole, then the oil level needs to be even with the bottom of the whole. Fill it until it starts running out the fill plug hole and then put the plug back in.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm chiming in late Putts, so you might have plenty of good info by now?

I just wanted to ask:

Does the vibration feel 1:1 to engine speed? road speed? or a "drone"?

Do you have a 1-piece d/shaft or 2-piece with rubber damper sleeve?

Up/down "slop" in either/or tailshaft yoke, or pinion yoke?

Any part of exhaust "drumming" thru car body?

I'll stop there ....for now, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I filled the rear end oil, swapped front wheels, greased all the points except the front u-joint, and re-mounted the rears wheels. They are Cragar unilugs and I had put the washers on backwards.

It felt a *little* better but could be the feeling of optimism.

Next I'll look at the exhaust (which has at least one hole in it) and the drums, as I was a little rough on them once (pic) and finding a set of rear wheels to swap out. Does anyone think it could be the alignment or wheel balance? Because it's likely the final phases of investigation ((driveshaft and axles) are pushing the limits of my skill set.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I filled the rear end oil, swapped front wheels, greased all the points except the front u-joint, and re-mounted the rears wheels. They are Cragar unilugs and I had put the washers on backwards.
:frown:

It felt a *little* better but could be the feeling of optimism.

Next I'll look at the exhaust (which has at least one hole in it) and the drums, as I was a little rough on them once (pic) and finding a set of rear wheels to swap out.

A little rough? :eek:

Does anyone think it could be the alignment or wheel balance? Because it's likely the final phases of investigation ((driveshaft and axles) are pushing the limits of my skill set.
Hard to say. Let's wait for another twenty to thirty posts guessing what the problem might be...

HINT- Brake drums are balanced from the factory... :frown:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a front drum left over from my disc conversion. Would it fit back there? It has the lugs screwed/pressed into it and IIRC the rear did not.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
It may if the same dia. and depth. Usually the fronts are larger.

If the same, have the hub pressed out. Do not beat it out no matter what anyone says.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some of the sites like rockauto give the same number for front and back. Here is pic of front, how do I get it to work on the back (if possible)? Or is all set up ready to go?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
$85 ??? I think the problem must be elsewhere...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts