Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://media.putfile.com/June-16th-23

hope i did this right....

guy i raced had a supercharger and full race slicks, i just had
the old street radials, I didn't get my best run on tape of
14.56 @96.97 but not bad for mild 289

1991 Honda Civic Si- daily driver
2002 Midnight Edition Ford Escape- wife's car

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ga289stocker on 6/22/06 4:41am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ga289stocker on 6/22/06 4:56am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Looks like a very clean run. I'm surprised your 60ft isn't a little better since you didn't seem to spin or bog bad on the launch. Things should get a lot better with more runs under your belt and the drag radials.

When I first started playing around at the track I could only hit 14.7x's. A couple more times to the track, a couple minor mods (still using the street radials), and learning to drive got me a best of 13.78. Much of that came from just making more passes and learning the car. I'm still a terrible driver and don't get that good of times for the mph. I have gotten a lot better than when I started though. It's been a blast learning.

Have you played with shift points?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
You did something most guys just talk about or guess at. You actually ran your car on the track, thats better than the average "Mighty Mouth" bench racers on the street. So what if the other car is faster, for now. Pay back is a even sweeter when you have to work for it.

The fun of actually running your car is well worth the effort. Keep it up, you done good, and you'll do better.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh that 2.87 that's on the board was my reaction time not sure why they make it in full seconds it was .287 r/t my 60 ft that run was a 2.384
i got a 2.336 60 ft on my best pass

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great looking car and a good run for a mild 289.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
On 2006-06-21 19:12, ga289stocker wrote:
Oh that 2.87 that's on the board was my reaction time not sure why they make it in full seconds it was .287 r/t my 60 ft that run was a 2.384
i got a 2.336 60 ft on my best pass
From your other posts in regards to the 60ft. Get ready to have some fun with the drag radials! Who cares about reaction time when you're starting out.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i can't wait to go back to the track now w/ some sticky tires, I believe i will have a 3.80 trak-loc by then as well. 289nate i'd love to run some 12's one day like yours, what's your secret w/ the stock heads? so you have the stock 1.78/1.45 valves still? Love your ride..

·
Registered
134 Posts
My 13.67/101 was done in 84 t-bird that is powered by a 289/C4 and 3.73 gear on old BFG TA's in full street trim. I think with your mph that your car could easyily be in the 13's. I was having traction problems so have ordered MT ET streets and hope to run in the low 13's consistently.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
On 2006-06-22 05:58, ga289stocker wrote:
Yeah i can't wait to go back to the track now w/ some sticky tires, I believe i will have a 3.80 trak-loc by then as well. 289nate i'd love to run some 12's one day like yours, what's your secret w/ the stock heads? so you have the stock 1.78/1.45 valves still? Love your ride..
Thanks! My first 'stang was a '66 wimbleton white fastback that I ended up wrecking on the freeway after dropping the driveshaft. Your car brings back memories (mine wasn't as nice and not as fast). I like your car as well.

The heads on my current motor have a mild port job. The valves are stock diameter with a three angle valve job. The place that did them (Valley Head Service) used to do the head work for Carrol Shelby. Thought it was cool when they told me that even though I'm sure none of the same people work there. After paying to have the heads done I realized it would have been cheaper to buy some TFS Twisted Wedge heads that would have made much better power. Oh well.

The car really likes the 4.11's. The slicks help a ton. Other tricks are a fiberglass hood (saves a couple pounds but really only wanted it for the air filter clearance)and a Shelby style rear seat delete (saves some more pounds). I've never weighed the car. I think it's fairly light which helps.

One other important note is that those times are corrected for altitude (real runs are low 13.3's and best mph is 103.x). The track I run at (LACR) is terrible. Their web site has an equation for what your car would run at sea level and my friends and I use that to figure our times. You can actually feel the power loss as you get up there. Many like to say the track is half a second slow. The math says it's not that slow. Other factors are wind and dust all over everything! Not ideal but still lots of fun and the closest 1/4 mile track. I've also met a couple Fordmuscle members up there which was great. So I would like to run a real 12 second pass as well! Wish they wouldn't have closed Carlsbad!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts