Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Just another reason why I would rather let my engine run out of oil than to go to one of those places to get it changed.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
theres one of those(other name?) oil shops about a block from me- when I rebuilt the front suspension on my Mark VII(rack/tierods/struts/strut bearings/arm bushings/balljoints/airbage- pretty much everything) my grease gun was empty- figured what the heck, it was hot, I was tired, tranny needed fluid changed- so took it over...cant recall cost, but I did ask to see the pan/filter before cleaning- just wondered how much metal was down there(pretty clean considering), went on home...got to thinking- better make SURE they didnt forget to grease the balljoints/tierod ends as they were new/bone dry- looked underneath, nada. called them up, they guy was all apologetic, said bring it back, they'll get me in/out right away...go back, ina nd out right away, mistakes happen right...look under the car when I get home- they greased tierod ends/not balljoints. Call him back, all apologetic, 'bring it back, we'll give ya a coupon for free service...' said the guy underneath though it had sealed bearings...whatever- I didnt go back, told him it was bulshit the first time around- pretty inexcuseable the second time- especially since it was going back ONLY to have those 4 fittings greased.

wouldnt doubt MANY other shops are similar- most cars have sealed units- why even bother to look- yet probably 10-20% of the cars that roll thru have had service parts installed(with fittings) that require grease. wonder how many balljoints have failed, how many accidents have occurred because of rushing them out the door...I hate taking my car anywhere. Only place Ive ever been impressed by was a local NTB store- they aligned all my cars, their tech was VERY knowledgable- even 'fixed' my wifes windstar for free- Ford dealer said after they worked on it(tie rod recall), the steering wheel was 45 degrees off due to needing caster/camber plate welds drilled out/adjusted- I said 'not unless you wrecked it'. figured pay someone that was trusted to look at it- he said alignment was fine, asked what they did- said they probably crossed the front tires, plysteer could cause it- he swapped the tires, it was fine again. happily went to pay- no charge- they check alignments for free, rotate for free... I about fell over. No qualms with NTB here.
that was the last time our Windstar -or any other vehicle- went to that dealers service dept. they wanted to charge us like 150 bucks to drill welds(galvanized) on a 2 yr old car that was fine? good service hard to find.

biggest thing is, Its not the name on the sign, its the name on the shirt of the guy or gal turning the wrenches...sadly theres probably a lot of jiffylube stores with guys as good as the local NTB tech getting a black eye by reports like the one in that link...sure looked to me like the common regional manager was the problem. He hurt Jiffylube more than himself. one bad apple can destroy a company.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ford4v429 on 6/13/06 12:10pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I like this shop I take my POS to in Korea, they show you the parts when they are done and show you how they fixed the part. I even checked later and saw they repaired or replaced everything they Said they did. Wish other car places were that honest. That why I do what I can myself.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I personally stay clear of franchised/chain auto service altogether. I make a point to build a relationship with an independent shop no matter the cost. I got a guy in my area (Mike's Auto Perfection) who handles my daily drivers.

The Jiffy Lube video confirms my willingness to pay a little extra. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
pep boys is the same, i had a co worker that worked there, i asked him why he quit after 12 years with them...he said he was tired of ripping folks off. i then asked was it required like a quota..he replied duh!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I am slowly becoming the go to guy for repairs and engine work in my new neighborhood.
(Only been here 8 months now....)

I cannot view the damn movie for some reason....

This is the 3rd site the link was posted on and nothing comes up but the video box with the big 4 in it ... there is no playlist and it takes about 3 minutes to load the page then nothing works... AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

FE

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HHMMM Don't know FE I just tryed it again just now this morning and its working ..... maybe need more load up time on your PC..
tim

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-06-13 19:04, FALCONAROUND wrote:
I am slowly becoming the go to guy for repairs and engine work in my new neighborhood.
(Only been here 8 months now....)

I cannot view the damn movie for some reason....

This is the 3rd site the link was posted on and nothing comes up but the video box with the big 4 in it ... there is no playlist and it takes about 3 minutes to load the page then nothing works... AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

FE
No comment on why you can't get it to work. but did you see these directions.

What do I need to view the video?
To view video, you are required to have Window's Media Player 9 or higher. Microsoft has released Windows Media Player 9 Series. You can download Windows Media Player 9 Series from the following Microsoft Windows Media Technologies Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I NOW have Media Player 10 and it still won't do anything....

Oh well, I don't go to jiffy lube anyhow...

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
On 2006-06-14 09:55, FALCONAROUND wrote:
I NOW have Media Player 10 and it still won't do anything....

Oh well, I don't go to jiffy lube anyhow...
Try clearing your cookies. ... don't go there, I know what it sounds like, but that ain't it.

IE explorer: tools > Internet options > general > delete cookies...it forces a refresh for the saved links. If that don't get it, then it'll take way too much time (effort vs reward ratio gets upside down way to easy when it comes to internet crap).

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
just watched that vid,man that sucks big time.i would imagine this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as these type of places ripping people off goes,makes me feel better about doing as much as i can on my cars myself

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
When or if I clean my cookies I have to type in all my dang forgotten info all over again.... so the hell with it... Besides, I've never been to that site before so I have no previously stored cookies...

FE

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Cookies?

Yeah that is some scandalous BS activity fore sure. Think of how many millions across America get taken everyday. The fleecing of American auto owners. Got to remember this is a rare bunch here, many auto owners don’t know a spark plug from an ERG valve or a muffler from a catalytic converter. Many Women get taken regardless of where they take their car for service just because many feel they can just pull the wool on them. If you use those facilities you have to let them know up front what you want, that you know what you want and that you are not a push over. Although they want you to hang out in their little lounge area away from view best to stick as close to your car as possible, keep an eye on them and keep asking questions and pointing at stuff they have not done yet to keep them in check. They will be more than happy to take care of you and get you the hell out of there.
Shameful, absolutely shameful.
Ras Daniel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts