Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Vin Decode

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Tallmark1 
#1 ·
HI ALL
I'm a newbie to this Forum & a great mind of infomation it is to me. I live in England U.K & own an export from new to the U.K 1964 Galaxie 500XL 390V8. Can anybody help me with the decoding of the vin, cant find any info anywhere on this.

L.H EXPORT

23 7 0

1 5 9

1WW 641 JC R

012039 463C L

This is exactly how it looks on the vin plate.

P.S forgot to mention the car has now been fully restored awaiting the British summertime for cruising

#5 ·
Thanks guys , this has been buging me for some time now. Funny thing is this car was not a general export it was a special order export , i have managed to work out some of the codes & i may be clutching at straws hear or miss reading the information but it seams to say that it was a 427 R code with 4 speed manual & built in the Philadelphia plant allthough it is now equiped with a period FE 390 & cruiso. & hear is the killer , the only U.K history i can find is that it was circuit raced from new 1964 to 68 then laid up untill 1975 when the guy i bought it of 2 years ago fully restored it. I will just have to keep digging.

#7 ·
Tallmark1

I have managed to de code some of the info as follows.

1WW = 1 SOLID COLOUR, WW = WIMBLEDON WHITE
641 = RED VINYL
JC = 390 CID 8CYL 4V DUAL RANGE AUTO
R = ?
012039 = I'M GUESSING THAT THIS IS THE CONSECUTIVE SERIAL NUMBER
4 = 8 CYL
63C = GALAXIE 500XL 2 DOOR FAST BACK
L = LEFT HAND DRIVE

IM NOT SURE WHAT THE OTHER DATA TRANSLATES INTO, MAY BE BUILD DATE AND BUILD LOCATION

THERE SHOULD ALSO BE A ENGINE NUMBER STAMPED ONTO THE ENGINE BLOCK JUST BELOW THE LEFT HEAD (LOOKING AT THE CAR FROM THE FRONT) MAY BE "RJL ####"?

HOPE IT HELPS

MARTIN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.