Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchasing a 1964 Fairlane, and cannot seem to decode the VIN, hoping someone can provide some insight.

VIN# is 86261420290557

My issue is that this number doesn't follow what I thoguth the normal early year Fords have - as well as my 63' Falcon. The first digit is the year the car was made, so I thought the first diti should have been a "4", followed by the alpha code of the assembly plant - yet there are no letters in the VIN number??

Can anyone help identify? seller swears this is on the registration, as well as insurance cards.

Purchasing it tonight - Help!!?!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I wanted to de code the vin on my 62. All the modern vin decoder sites woulden't accept the number.... Searching a little more I found on several sites a list for the older vehicles. I discovered the U in my vin is for a I6, that is correct, and the first numbers for different stuff. I discovered my car was made in Deerborn. You can also contact Ford directly and they will send you a letter of the break down. I did this too, and everything was correct except Ford said it's a 221V8, and I know the car was produced with a I6. The list says U is a I6. But everything else Ford extracted is right.

Should be a mix of numbers and letters.. I looked for those web sites links. I thought I saved them, but they must have been in before I had to re install my OS.. So, search a little on the web. I think I foud a break down on a Mustang site.

You will most likely need to locate a list of the meaning for each set in the vin. Somebody here may know the list, but finding a decoder will be difficult.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
the modern sites willnot find the id of a older car because in year 1980 the law changed that all vehicles will be given the 16 or 17 didget vin code. Being that the sites cannot decode the lower didget cars of the old days. However here is a site that can decode a clasic with everything about the history of the car. It will cost you one dollar to be paid by a credit card but put your vin in . At least before you pay you will see if that site has found your car, most times yes. VehicleHistory.com

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have seen many cars where the vin looks odd or doesnot even look like a ford vin . I did a search on his vin number and have found it useing the site below but it ask for me to pay a dollar to get it. His car is there.

Vin # 86261420290557Your Report Has Been Downloaded.

We are Offering Your Report for a $1.00 National Vehicle Database Fee.
Please Continue Now to Ensure You Get Your Report.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
NO NO NO NO NO NO!

That is NOT A VIN NUMBER!!!!!!!!!

Every Vehicle manufacturer uses Letters AND numbers in their vin, and after 1980 all Vin numbers are 17 characters in length.

The number he posted is NOT A VIN NUMBER :)

It is possible it's the TITLE number....

Thanks for your attention.
FE is correct. Even though that site came back with info of that number I put in he is correct. I looked at the numbers I wrote down on my fairlane radiator support and it is very easy to mis between a letter and a number. What I saw as a o the title vin shows it to be a (C) not a (o) The vin has to have letters and I should know that. I got screwed up myself of old titles and number. FE I should know also is a very sharp cookie which he is .:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all that responded.

The number just wasn't making sense to me, so I call Marti's and they suggested asking the owner to check and see if there was a fender tag, as the 64' does not have a dash tag.

Owner looked and initially didn't see anything, but called back 20 min later with a correct style 11 digit number which I believe is correct. I don't know how the car was registered with the number I provided in my original post, or how it was even arrived at, but I just couldn't believe it was correct - and additional diggin proved out the situation.

The car is a 1964, assy in Atlanta, 2 dr hardtop, number 199,742 off the production line.

Looking forward to picking it up in the morning, held off tonight because of the rain. Thanks again to all the responded, the help is very appreciated.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
DO NOT accept the car if the VIN number is NOT on the title. Or if it don't then have a Highway Patrol officer go with you to make the purchase and run the Vin# to be sure it's not been previously reported stolen.

That is a service they perform for the public.

I repeat. DO NOT BUY IT without the Vin# that's on the inner fender under the hood PHYSICALLY on the TITLE typed not hand written.

Cover your Donkey!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FE,

Thanks for the good advice. Let me ask, assuming the fender tag has the correct vin, and the door take has the other number, and the "other" number is what's on the registration, my assumption is that if I verify that the correct vin has not bee reported as stolen, then it's just an administrative issue which needs to be cleaned up?

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Yes sort of. If the DMV guy is an asshat...

Door vin matching Title but NOT inner fender, STOP. Check inner fender VIN with State patrol. IF clear, then proceed to DMV and ask to have the VIN number Corrected. Simply explain it was a lazy DMV person that inspected it upon it's last Vin Verification or some nice story like that.

If Vin on Inner fender is On title then you're cool beans my man.

IF the door don't match that's not a problem because it cannot legally be used to title a vehicle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went to see the car today to compare tags, luckily the fender tag matched the door tag, and the state police we right on time and wrote me a VIN verification letter for the DMV.

None of us could figure where the current VIN number came from, but the correct VIN had not been reported stolen, or had any other car associated with it, so I'm going with the DMV person making a mistake.

I'm also lucky to have near me the only DMV in my entire life who has nice ladies working there who a very helpful, baring any major issues, the DMV shouldn't be a problem.

I bought the car today, for a song I might add, and am looking forward to working on this, along with my 63' Falcon. I will post pics later, as I cannot figure out how to upload pics from my iPad??

Thanks again to all who responded with help, it's very much appreciated!!

Nils

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got a similar issue with the '67 I inherited from my father. The registration has a T for the first digit instead of a 7. There is also an extra digit at the end. Hope this doesn't cause too much of a problem when I go to register it in my name...... Obviously the DMV made the mistake.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts