Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
+1. You need to list the info. Rarity does not necessarily parallel value, just in-case you were hoping. I've had a couple 1-of-1 cars (still have one of them) that were not worth squat, because they weren't 'special' in the right way.

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

64 500 XL
Body 63C
Color M
Can't read what next number in line is for but it is 86
DSO 21B
Axle 1
Trans 4
VIN: 4P68Z157893

If anyone can get me some information that would be outstanding.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Thunderbird Valve covers are a 390 Z code thing. T-bird valve covers got put on every FE I saw before the age of 21.... Then in my late 20's and 30's people thought the Mercury word was better and then they started using those and calling the engine a 410, even though it was a 352...

Stupid kids...

Anyhow you got a 64 Galaxie 500 XL with a 390, nothing rare about it. Just a wonderful old White on black Galaxie :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks FE. I kind of figured. Had a Ford parts rep tell me that someone must have put those on there because they should've said Ford on them. I wish everyone was on the same page on this stuff.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Thunderbird Valve covers are a 390 Z code thing. T-bird valve covers got put on every FE I saw before the age of 21....

Anyhow you got a 64 Galaxie 500 XL with a 390, nothing rare about it. Just a wonderful old White on black Galaxie :)
The base 352 (60-64) had FORD stamped rocker covers didn't they?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Yes they did. Thunderbird V/C's only came on the actual T-bird 390 4V engines. No 2V engines received the T-bird lettering from the factory that I've ever laid eyes on.

Just like the Mercury FE, the only engines in a Merc I ever saw with the Merc wording was the 4V versions. the 2V Mercs I saw were all blank V/C's
Just keeping an eye on you...

The second engine shot has GOLD covers but is stamped FORD. Can you I.D. it?

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
That is a 1960 Galaxie/Sunliner Firewall with a 352 4V (Thunderbird edition) the first year Ford breached the 350 hp mark and the 150 MPH track mark with a car exceeding 3400 lbs...

And incidentally, I see a WOT Electric Over-Drive cutout switch on the firewall....

Please tell me this is your car and you're going to take me for a ride in it!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
That is a 1960 Galaxie/Sunliner Firewall with a 352 4V (Thunderbird edition) the first year Ford breached the 350 hp mark and the 150 MPH track mark with a car exceeding 3400 lbs...

Please tell me this is your car and you're going to take me for a ride in it!
Almost FE... ;)

The 1960 FORD (only) (MERC?) got the 352CI 360HP (covers gold paint) was released for NASCAR competition. You know so many had to be released on the street. It was FORD only as the 1960 BIRD only got the 352CI 300HP (covers blue paint) hydraulic engine (along with the MEL 430). It was not (supposedly) released in the BIRD due to its being a thumper (I have a letter from FOMOCO somewhere).

The stamped THUNDERBIRD rocker covers were not released until the 1961 model year.

You still get a Cupie Doll though. Very Astute!

Now if I had one of these, I would not have the time to give you a ride as it might be remotely possible that Ann-Margret would realize that I am alive and I would be riding her around... :tup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts