Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I see the plate on the drivers door, the plate on the front window is located on the passenger side (weird I have seen this on other Torino's) what's up with that?

I did read the another one is stamped on the drivers side inner fender skirt.
Is this viewable by pulling the fender back to expose it?

I did see a car that had the fender flange mounting area notched out so this could be seen, is this normal on some cars or did the owner do this to prove authenticity?

The original drive train is gone on this car so no vin on the back of the engine, are there any other locations on the car other than what was mentioned above?
Thanx, Rick

·
Registered
460 Posts
You have pretty much found them all there, your bet bet is the one underneath the fender, since it is obviously the hardest one to change. door can be swapped, and window tags removed. The fender vin is the best to identify the car. unless you know that nothing else has been changed

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
If you suspect it's a CJ car or something, and you can't pull the fender, look for other clues that would only come with that option. I found a '68 Torino CJ that way. Just a rolling shell, no door tag and couldn't see through the glass for the VIN, but I spotted the big sway bar. I couldn't measure to be sure, so I checked the radiator - 24" meaning big block as the car had no AC, so then I looked at the rear shocks - yep, staggered. Cobra! :D

David

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I am a new member and NOT a spammer :). Thanx for all the great help.. this is actually my car that I have owned since 1976.
Just getting my ducks in order.

I did pull the drivers side fender back and all VIN's match.

S code 390 fastback 4 speed.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yes, I am a new member and NOT a spammer :). Thanx for all the great help.. this is actually my car that I have owned since 1976.
Just getting my ducks in order.

I did pull the drivers side fender back and all VIN's match.

S code 390 fastback 4 speed.
390 4 speed car......lucky. :bow:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts