Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Ford Falcon Futura
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be installing Vintage Air in my 65 Falcon in a few weeks.Waiting for delivery. Has any of you guys installed the VA in your car and wired in a full throttle switch? I was told that if you have your air on and rev the engine to high it will damage the compressor. I shift my engine at 6400- 6600 rpms and I know that I will forget to turn it off one day.Also VA told me that they do not make a bracket for the GM Saginaw power steering pump. I really don't want to switch out my new chromed pump . Has any of you guys made a bracket to fit this up?Roger

·
Subscriber
739 Posts
the Vintage Air site mentions using safety switches. they have 3 options. seems they disengage the compressor clutch when the internal pressure gets too high.
that should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I've installed a few ac systems on project cars, I've done some peace meal setups on Chevys and tried on Fords. There is three or four belt locations on the sbf witch makes it a pain in the butt. I'd go with the complete setup.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Falcon Futura
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke with a sells person and they told me they do not sell the switch I need or brackets to mount it.Any Ideal what kind of switch and where can I buy one?Roger

·
Subscriber
739 Posts
I think they sell the switch you need...just not the one you're asking for.
You need a pressure safety switch, not a high-rpm cutoff.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Falcon Futura
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke with the Vintage Air guy today. He said that I need mirco switch. He said that I need to route a power wire to the switch and route the other wire from the switch to the orange to the compressor. He said that it would shut down the compressor when I pressed the throttle petal all the way down and keep it off till I let off the throttle enough to allow the switch to disengage.Sound pretty simple and pretty cheap to do. Roger

·
Subscriber
739 Posts
he didn't mention his own safety switches?
an inline pressure switch would far safer.
how much throttle is too much? is the micro-switch mount going to stay perfectly aligned?

I've seen micro-switches mounted on the throttle linkage for testing (like - when do my secondaries open?), but I wouldn't trust it to stay in-place over time.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Falcon Futura
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No he didn't say anything about any kind of pressure switch.You are right about the micro switch mounted on the carb. I ran Nitrous on a couple of my cars. The switches didn't stay in place that well and didn't last to long.The inline pressure switch sounds much safer.Looks like another call to VA is in the works.Thanks for the good advice. Roger

·
Subscriber
739 Posts
here's the info on the ones they sell - i'm surprised he didn't mention it.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Falcon Futura
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again thank you very much for some great help.I haven't started the install yeat. I'm waiting for the delivery from VA. From what Summit says it will be shipped about May 5. Right now I have been reading the install manual and down loaded the plans to drill the mounting holes for the EV. I removed my seats so it would be easer to get to under the dash.I all so removed the fresh air vents. I plan to have everything ready for the install and be read up on it. Thanks again for your help. Roger

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I have a really nice complete Vintage Air set up (Heat and A/C) that came out of a 1966 Falcon that was restored to a very high degree, then unfortunately totaled by a rear end accident. Check it out if you’re interested, I just listed it on Craigslist Boston along with a bunch of other 66 / 67 Falcon parts. Thanks, Jonathan

·
Registered
1965 Ford Falcon Futura
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry about the car. I know how that feels.Not the system I'm looking for. Roger

·
Registered
1965 Ford Falcon Futura
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Iv'e done a little reading. They call the Binary switch and the Trinary switch both a safty switch. From what I make of it , the binary switch shut down the compressor when the line pressure goes down to about 32 psi or shut the compressor off when the line pressure goes up to 400 psi. Both switches do that, but the Trinary switch can be wire to turn on the electric fan on when the line pressure reaches 257 psi and also be wired to turn the fan on when the engine reaches a preset temp.The engine is all ready wired to turn the fan on when the engine reaches 185 and shuts off once it cools down 165.Is it really needed to wire the fan to the air?The kit comes with a Birnary switch. Would that be enough Do you think I need to wire in a Trinary switch and wire it to my fan?Roger

·
Registered
791 Posts
The binary switch is essential to prevent damage to the system, as you have already found with your research.

The trinary switch is not absolutely needed,
but consider modern cars with electric fans that automatically turn on the fans whenever the A/C is on/running.

You can wire the switch in parallel with your existing fan switch so both will be operational.

Your call.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Falcon Futura
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was thinking to wire it so any time the air is turned on the fan would come on.Roger

·
Registered
1965 Ford Falcon Futura
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just got the Vintage Air kit today.That's 10 days sooner than they had told me. Roger

1 - 20 of 51 Posts