Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm looking into a Vintage Air system for the Gal. The one that I'm leaning towards is the Gen IV, as it looks like it's a fully self contained unit. Does anyone here have one? I was curious as to if it requires the engine mounted compressor or is it all done within the unit?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Dunno bcuz, I couldnt get any parts listings from the website... Looks like maybe a separate compressor tho from the pile of parts shown for the 57 chebby kit.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thanks for link bcuz.... Looks like THAT one IS a fully contained unit. But I would try and research it on the vintage air site itself to see if you can find out more....;)

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do. I was hoping someone had one and could tell me how they liked it..how it worked for them, etc. I had a 12v cooler years ago that used micro processors to cool or heat..it worked pretty good..might be similar technology in this unit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I put a Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum in my '57 Custom several years ago. The controls are printed circuit and the doors are servos (no cables or vacumn). This allows for ANY blend of air the user could want. It supports heat, AC, and defrost. The box was an easy install as were the ducts (they even have a trunk install kit). At the time, there was only one controller...the Dakota Instruments, billet, thingy. It worked fine but just did not fit my style. Now VA offers a couple of alternatives. One would be individual switches that I have made linkage to adopt to my OEM heater controls. There is also a heater control panel. Just saying, you have choices. As far as the pump, they have that covered also. VA offers a adapter bracket that will mount the new style pump to the OEM York/Tecumseh pump bracket. It would be well worth the effort to hunt up a set of OEM brackets and pulleys rather than custom fab everything or spend big bucks to change to serpentine belt system. The directions and support team are great.
The system works well without overpowering fan noise and does the job...car is nice and cool.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
All the vintage air units use an engine driven compressor as far as I know.

I have one in a Black Starliner and in the Texas heat in the summer when you combine the Black, the heat and all the glass in a Starliner it really has its work cut out for it. It will keep you from sweating but just barely.

One consideration you should look for in a unit if you get an air/Heat unit, especially if you live in an area that does not get to hot, is does it have provisions to allow you to use your outside air vents?

Scott...

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the vintage air units use an engine driven compressor as far as I know.

I have one in a Black Starliner and in the Texas heat in the summer when you combine the Black, the heat and all the glass in a Starliner it really has its work cut out for it. It will keep you from sweating but just barely.

One consideration you should look for in a unit if you get an air/Heat unit, especially if you live in an area that does not get to hot, is does it have provisions to allow you to use your outside air vents?

Scott...
Thats the situation I have as well. The car is black on black on black on black lol. I live in Northern Nevada, and it does tend to get toasty. I've tried the outside air vents, but with headers, you get a lot of the heat coming in from them.
I think I'd want the a/c more than heat, as the car is tucked away in the winter. The windows got tinted this fall and it did help quite a bit. I guess I'll start looking for the compressor mounting pad and go from there. Also a call to Vintage Air is in order as well and see what all I need.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If you do not need heat in the AC unit Vintage Air sells a unit that mounts under the dash and looks like the ones that were from the period.

I finally lined my roof with Dyna-mat when I replaced the head liner and that made a big difference in the operation of the AC unit. Even more difference than the tinted windows.

Scott...

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you do not need heat in the AC unit Vintage Air sells a unit that mounts under the dash and looks like the ones that were from the period.

I finally lined my roof with Dyna-mat when I replaced the head liner and that made a big difference in the operation of the AC unit. Even more difference than the tinted windows.

Scott...
I used that foil backed bubble looking stuff in my roof. I also have dyna mat on the floors and the bubble stuff on the doors and rear quarters under the windows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts