Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the process of putting a 67' 289 in my 04' stang. Need an engine rebuild on the V6, and found out its alot cheaper to go with an older engine than upgrade to a 4.6. Anyway, so using a k-member, radiator, t-5, serpanine setup, and headers from a 95 cobra. To get the car legal in my state, i'd either have to:
1. Go with a fuel injection system from a later model 302 and do an OBII swap or
2. Apply for a custom registration

I will probably opt for number fuel injection and OBII swap because I want to run a KB blower. Someone else has told me on this forum I am breaking a number of federal laws. Is this true?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am currently in the process of putting a 67' 289 in my 04' stang. Need an engine rebuild on the V6, and found out its alot cheaper to go with an older engine than upgrade to a 4.6. Anyway, so using a k-member, radiator, t-5, serpanine setup, and headers from a 95 cobra. To get the car legal in my state, i'd either have to:
1. Go with a fuel injection system from a later model 302 and do an OBII swap or
2. Apply for a custom registration

I will probably opt for number fuel injection and OBII swap because I want to run a KB blower. Someone else has told me on this forum I am breaking a number of federal laws. Is this true?

No, build the car.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just to remove converters from your car is a federal crime for the person who does it, and by law if one is missing and a new exhaust is installed it MUST have a converter replaced also...
Emission standards go with the body year not the motor.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
What state are you in??:|

Funny thing......"Kit Cars" have to comply to emissions for the year engine they have......tell 'em it's a Kit Car!!:wink2:

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
The best thing to do is have a conversation with your state DMV. They are probably going to tell you that you need to comply with the emissions for the year of the car, 2004, or later. So as long as you build a driveline that can pass those tests, you're probably OK. So you'll need the catalytic converters, etc. That also means that you'll need to have the OBD system in your car work with that engine without returning error codes. Or modify the OBD from a later car.

There is a reason, however, that Ford stopped making the pushrod small block and started making the modular 4.6 engine, and I suspect that emissions was one of them. So you may get into the unfortunate situation where you spend a lot of money and time, get an OBD to work but fail the emission sampling tests by some small amount.

The laws vary by state. Here in NC if the car is over 35 years old then it can be registered as an antique. If registered as an antique it is exempt from state inspection, but you are limited to it's use- it can't be a daily driver.

If you're in CA, you're probably breaking laws by asking the question. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
The best thing to do is have a conversation with your state DMV. They are probably going to tell you that you need to comply with the emissions for the year of the car, 2004, or later. So as long as you build a driveline that can pass those tests, you're probably OK. So you'll need the catalytic converters, etc. That also means that you'll need to have the OBD system in your car work with that engine without returning error codes. Or modify the OBD from a later car.

There is a reason, however, that Ford stopped making the pushrod small block and started making the modular 4.6 engine, and I suspect that emissions was one of them. So you may get into the unfortunate situation where you spend a lot of money and time, get an OBD to work but fail the emission sampling tests by some small amount.

The laws vary by state. Here in NC if the car is over 35 years old then it can be registered as an antique. If registered as an antique it is exempt from state inspection, but you are limited to it's use- it can't be a daily driver.

If you're in CA, you're probably breaking laws by asking the question. ;)
Hey yadkin, not to derail the thread, but I'm an inspector in NC, all cars 35 or older are exempt not just antique plated ones. I use regular plates on my 67 fairlane and my 78 f150 neither get inspected and no driving restrictions. I did put year model plates on both but you can do that no matter how its registered in NC too.

To the op, by federal law you cant install an engine older than the original even of its another v6 from 03. However that is harder to prove and depending on your local laws may or may not be an issue.

If you do swap engines, the emissions controls can not be removed or modified or that is another fine, once again your local authorities may or may not care.

As stated above the local dmv could help answer any questions about doing the swap perfectly legally, but I'm positive they will tell you you can not use the 289. You would be legal most likely using an 04 or newer 4.6 v8 and its related emissions.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Hey yadkin, not to derail the thread, but I'm an inspector in NC, all cars 35 or older are exempt not just antique plated ones. I use regular plates on my 67 fairlane and my 78 f150 neither get inspected and no driving restrictions. I did put year model plates on both but you can do that no matter how its registered in NC too.
Thanks for the clarification. Also, with the antique designation your NC county/ city can only tax you based on a $500 value.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback guys. So took the 289 apart to clean it up, and couldn't get the rust off. Luckily got a refund, and found a 351w from a 1969 Shelby GT350. I checked all the castings and it is all correct. I am pretty excited for this find, as the added displacement will fit the heavy 2004 body well, but now I am further in emissions territory. I may just opt for the custom registration. I also found out there are many counties in NC that do not do emissions tests (the guy I bought the engine from lives in one of those counties). There seems to be enough options out there that I will get this thing to pass. If there's a will there's a way!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know it sounds nuts. Old man had sold the car years ago. All the casting numbers are correct. Its basically just a 351w from that year, with a Shelby intake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts