Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's stop this damn thing!!!

I just got it sent to me from Chilly 460 and Norton caught it, but if it gets through it sends emails to everyone in your address book!!

By entering...!000, worm alert...as the first address in your book it will find it is invalid and no new emails will be sent??!!

Give it a try....It can't hurt anything and might stop this silly crap!!!

Thanks,
Cobrajack

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cobrajack on 5/9/02 6:05am ]</font>

·
Programmer
856 Posts
I work at a computer store and this virus is getting pretty common. It disables every brand of virus scanner out there(at least the most popular ones).. Anyways, download the following utility. Run it, and it will remove the klez virus. Then, install or update your virus scanner...

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixKlez.com

·
Programmer
856 Posts
I believe one of the things it does is spoof. -- fake who the email message is really from...

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
We got this thing about a week ago.Had to call my brother in law the computer whiz to fix it.What a pain in the ass.It said it was from someone in California that we don't know and it sent it to some of the addresses in our mailbox as well.Don't people have better things to do?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just to add to the list I got it from someone I've never heard of. Norton caught it on it's way into my email. No problem. Norton took care of me.

Don't you ever wonder as a way to make money just the thought crossed my mind if somehow the very people that write virus software write the viruses themselves??? Not that I would actually think that, but, what if?.... I just always think about that sometimes every year two years when I go out and write a check for $40 and buy Norton AntiVirus.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Can't let that one sit unanswered Nitro! I worked for an AV vendor for three years - it ain't true!!! But, it's a common misconception. Security was so tight where I was that simply joking about stuff like that was reason for termination. Part of the problem is that it's so easy to write this stuff. There's been a Visual Basic Scripting virus tool kit out on the web for a few years now. Anyone who can follow simple instructions can download this thing and write their own VBS based virus in just a few minutes. It's very scary.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been getting less and less of them in the last few days!! None have made it past Norton, but I often wonder if it isn't the computer and software makers......Just think how dependent we are on these machines and what we would do if they become infected and useless????

GO OUT AND BUY ANOTHER ONE!!!!

What with new computer sales falling and software sales not far behind....It ain't all that far fetched??!!

Cobrajack

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
CobraJack - you wouldn't get rid of that beautiful Cobra if you blew the tranny or engine would you? At the most, a bad infection might mean you had to re-format your hard drive. Maybe an hour or two of work to do that and restore your personal files, but not a whole new PC. You do back up your personal files on a regular basis, right??!!! Treat your PC like you do your car. Regular maintenance and common sense. I've not had a virus in ten years and between my job and home use I average over 250 e-mails per day.
Check out these links for some good advice:

http://www.f-secure.com/virus-info/tips.shtml

http://www.f-secure.com/virus-info/u-vbs/

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I have just received an E-mail from Noble Design. This belong to any of you? It too was infected.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Chris

I ran that program on all three of our computers and it said none of them had that virus. Although Im still getting Emails that Im sure are infected. Just deleting those.

thanx

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shep927,

Well, you are partially right....I would probably try to "Restore" my present machine but it is 4 years old and only has an AMD 450 Mhz processor!! I would personally consider upgrading to something faster now that they are pretty cheap!!

I WOULD FIX THE COBRA!!!! It took too long to get it and get it right!!! What a car!!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
389 Posts
I got something last week that wiped everything out..couldn't use anything, was totally frozen up...still don't know what it was, did a system restore, lost everything I had but seems ok now.....

·
Programmer
856 Posts
I think the program patches your computer from getting them in the future.. Also I think it only effects some versions of outlook express.. Not sure, maybe i'll have to get some info about this thing from mcafee.com

On 2002-05-15 00:13, qtrhors wrote:
Chris

I ran that program on all three of our computers and it said none of them had that virus. Although Im still getting Emails that Im sure are infected. Just deleting those.

thanx

·
Registered
166 Posts
hey shep927: backing up is a great idea, what do you suggest for my dad's comp? over 500 Gig of harddrive
. to think, it took a week to dump 60 gig over the network from his old comp.
p.s. i know most ov you don't have that problem with back ups,

George E. Leggett

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ghettostang on 5/16/02 4:56am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Hey George - Your Dad has 500GB of raw data? That's a lot of pictures of cars!!??

Most folks figure they have to back up the entire hard drive, which is a major pain in the butt. As long as you've kept all of your install disks (CDs), why bother backing up the applications? They can easily be re-installed. Take the time to find and backup the actual data, like databases, e-mail folders, Netscape bookmarks and stuff like that. In the 'old days' I backed up to diskette, then to tape and then used an on-line backup service. Nowadays, with PCs so cheap to build, I've got a spare machine with a couple of big drives in it. I schedule a backup for 3am each Sunday.

·
Registered
166 Posts
95% of it is data. of coruse, my dad has been programing for 25 years, and everything in the last 10 has been on pc. ( commadore, and interact before that ) also he has a large mp3 collection, over 18,000 songs, and records video on his computer as well, ( about 1700 tv shows right now, and more coming). just the tv recording alone he uses about 2.5 Gmb a week. anyway, for most of the stuff we use 650mb cd's to back up, but they dont go far when you use 3gig a week.
btw, maxtor external 1394 drives are great.

George E. Leggett

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ghettostang on 5/16/02 11:45am ]</font>

·
Registered
749 Posts
good gawd

He should have already been backing up what he treasures out of that insane collection

If I ever lost something like that I would swear off computers forever...move to the mountians and live in a cabin with no electricity

1 - 18 of 18 Posts