Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weekends ago some guy skidded through an intersection and hit me on the right front wheel. As you can see from the pictures there is no real body damage, not that you could tell, lol, but the tire was cut. I changed the tire and drove it home. The steering wheel is cocked well to the left. 1988 F-150, 5.0l, 5 spd.

I've had into a friends shop for an assessment of the damage. The results are that nothing is bent, or broken, and an alignment should get get the steering wheel back to centre. That part is good news, however, there is a drive train vibration that wasn't there before. They didn't find any motor mount damage, but I've took it back for a closer look. They thought the vibration / shake was maybe just from the age and condition. There is a noticeable vibration at idle, out of gear, and it is most noticeable at lower RPM's. The shake is quite noticeable when the engine is lugged, like making a turn with the trans (manual) in third gear and engine down to 800 rpm.

I'm looking for any WAG's as to what might be possible sources for the vibration / shake. I was thinking about a broken motor mount. What could be shocked out of alignment, or knocked off to cause an imbalance????

Attachments

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Second review of truck did not reveal any broken / damaged mounts. The assessment is that what I was describing as a vibration and shake is the result of a misfire and not a structural issue. I'll take a closer look at the plug wires and check all the spark plugs and rotor. Maybe its time for some new wires, they are old and grungy looking.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
shop said no bent or broken parts..

I have to ask - how do you think the steering wheel got that way ?

now ask that shop the same question .

plus check the wheel bearings on that side

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
shop said no bent or broken parts..

I have to ask - how do you think the steering wheel got that way ?

now ask that shop the same question .

plus check the wheel bearings on that side
+1. Something must be bent, or the alignment would still be perfect. Be sure to do a full front and rear alignment to verify all the angles are correctable to spec's.

David

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that a shop that sees your hit in the Wheel by a MOVING CAR, and your steering wheel is no longer Square, and they tell you that there's nothing bent.... THEY SUCK DONKEY ASS....

HOW can NOTHING be bent when your steering wheel is off center now? Bunch of morons work there.

Follow Dan's advice, but I'm certain your bearing will be fine, they take a LOT more harm than this tiny bump and fare well all the time... But the tie rod or the center link or the pitman arm or the idler arm is definitely bent....

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is nothing bent to extent that would necessitate replacement. The shop is a place I trust, the guy I deal with is the owner and the friend who helped me with the engine rebuild in the XL. The frame is not bent, the engine mounts are not bent/broken, but yes, if the steering wheel is now off centre then something had to give. The assessment was from the point of view safety and components that were in need of replacement. They are also aware that this is a very low use vehicle so there is tolerance, on my part, to accept maximum wear on ball joints and pivots before replacement.

No doubt the misalignment is the result of a forced change in the linkage parts. The assessment tells me that nothing is unsafe, because that is what what we talked about determining. There should be enough adjustment left in the tie rod ends, etc., to restore a reasonable alignment, but I'm sure the alignment shop will tell me I need new everything, inner and outer tie rods, center link, idler arm, ball joints, etc., etc. I average around 1,500 km (>1,000 miles) per year on the truck, almost all around town, and all new steering components would probably double it's value. If the other guy's insurance will pay my deductable it might be worthwhile making a claim, then new parts and labour might be a possibility. The other side is that it may be enough cost to be considered a total loss. It sucks when you're minding your own business and someone hits you and now you at least need a new tire and an alignment.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If the other guy's insurance will pay my deductable it might be worthwhile making a claim, then new parts and labour might be a possibility. The other side is that it may be enough cost to be considered a total loss. It sucks when you're minding your own business and someone hits you and now you at least need a new tire and an alignment.
HE hit YOU...Theres no deductable to consider. Unless HE didn't have insurance. Contact HIS insurance agent and tell them you want your truck fixed. If you get flack, contact YOUR agent.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
HE hit YOU...Theres no deductable to consider. Unless HE didn't have insurance. Contact HIS insurance agent and tell them you want your truck fixed. If you get flack, contact YOUR agent.
Everyone here has insurance if the vehicle registration is current. We have basic, or minimum insurance as part of the vehicle registration and then you can buy additional coverage to increase liability coverage, reduce collision deductable, glass coverage, etc. We have gone to a no fault system a number of years ago and I haven't had any personal experience with claims under that process.

On another note, I certainly am due for a new rotor, distributor cap and plug wires. No. 8 plug was definitely not firing, it was black and fouled looking, while the others were nicely coloured, and many of the terminals on the cap were very corroded. A few new parts should have it running smooth once again.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
no fault is for personal injury only .

Bikesandfires is correct , file a claim against his insurance company .

find whats bent-part(s) and get paid for total replacement cost.
then its up to you when payed how the repair is done

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to call and book an appointment with the insurance company. I did a little research over the weekend and I should not have to pay a deductable because I am not at fault. I think the reason so many people were suggesting that I may not want to make a claim is because they think the insurance co. might want to write it off as a total loss. I'm sure that I could get by with an alignment and a new tire, but I also expect the alignment shop will recommend replacing all the steering components, including ball joints, even if the adjuster doesn't include them. The pro-rated share of the tire and an alignment shouldn't be enough to write it off. I suppose, if they do want write it off, I can buy it back and get a little bit of cash on the settlement to put towards repairs. We'll see what happens.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I'm going to call and book an appointment with the insurance company. I did a little research over the weekend and I should not have to pay a deductable because I am not at fault. I think the reason so many people were suggesting that I may not want to make a claim is because they think the insurance co. might want to write it off as a total loss. I'm sure that I could get by with an alignment and a new tire, but I also expect the alignment shop will recommend replacing all the steering components, including ball joints, even if the adjuster doesn't include them. The pro-rated share of the tire and an alignment shouldn't be enough to write it off. I suppose, if they do want write it off, I can buy it back and get a little bit of cash on the settlement to put towards repairs. We'll see what happens.
you still have a misunderstanding how the insurance claims work.

get a few esterments for a correct repair.

fear of totaling the truck . get a value of the truck. what does a truck sell for in your area , in the same pre accident shape ? that is the min payment .

don't show the adjuster any esterments --- till after he's done one
negotiate if his to low . take no B/S from the insurance co. you havent seen the doc yet about the neck pain. they will write a check very quick.
once check is signed by you there is no further claim

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I agree with Dan, BUT he is in Canada and I don't know the doings up there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So the vibs started after you put the spare tire on right ? If so jack the tire up and give it a spin looking for bumps from split belts ?

Never mind just re-read your post and it shakes at idle. I put a timing light one at a time on each plugwire looking for a misfire.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is not the Canada part, but the Saskatchewan part. We are one of the provinces that have a public insurance program for basic, or minimum coverage. You can get extended coverage from the private market, but there are limited players in that area. What that means is everyone deals with the one agency when there is a claim as it is the primary insurer. I am free to take my vehicle anywhere I wish for repair after it is adjusted, but only after the repairs have been authorized.

I bought the truck in 2000 and paid $2,050 for it. Over the years I've spent more than that on repairs and maintenance, but that only has minor bearing on the valuation. The necessary repairs will be less than the deductable, which is $700 on this vehicle, but the point being, as others have pointed out, that I shouldn't be out anything because it wasn't my fault. They do only pay pro-rated value on tires, but part payment is better than none. My appointment is Friday afternoon, so I'll know more then.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE Re: WAG's for vibration source after collision - 88 F150

I got notice from the insurance co. today that I can proceed with the repairs to my truck as per the adjustment report. There was a report costs stipulation on the adjuster's report, so I'll have to be clear with the shop to not go crazy and think they can replace everything with new parts. It will be nice to have a straight steering wheel again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts