Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and found this while looking up 72 Rancheros to buy.

About myself, I love Fords, learned to drive on my moms 88 mustang gt, and it was given to me when i get my license in 95. Sadly, it was stolen back in 97.

I currently own a 49 Merc 4 door, its running a 5.0 w/AOD trans. Its sitting in my garage waiting for me to finish her. I also got a 51 Merc thats mostly complete (its got a 350 engine and trans), but she's needing a new paint job.

Anyhow, I'm here looking to get into a 72 Ranchero for the purpose of putting my motorcycle in back and taking it up Willow Springs and Buttonwillow for trackdays. Do you guys know if a sport bike will fit in the back with the gate up? If not, do they make those gate cage extenders things like what the short bed F150's have? Is there any issues with carrying 400+ lbs in the bed? How much does a 72 thats in good drive-able condition go for? I'm not looking to get into a project or anything like that will need too much work.

Im new to Ranchero's, so please forgive the dumb questions i may have.

Any help or any leads is greatly appreciated,

Thanks guys.

I'm in SoCal, btw.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don't know how long a Sport bike is but the bed of a 1972-1979 Ranchero measures 75 inches from back window to the inside of the tailgate. 400 pounds should not be an issue as the 1972-1979 Rancheros were built on a full frame and rated at 1/2 ton. I currently own 3 1972 Rancheros and 2 1973 Rancheros, so I am quite familiar with the model. Sorry, none of mine are for sale. You should be able to get a pretty go deal on a Ranchero as they do not sell for the same kind of money other vintage cars sell for of the same era. The price range runs between $500-$15,000 depending on condition and options. The rare ones would be the Q code 351C 4V Cobra Jet and the Q code 351C 4V Cobra Jet with 4 speed Trans as well as the N code 429 4V.
Note: the 4 speed Transmission was only sold with the Q code 351C CJ for the 1972 model year and the 429 had a lower horse power rating than the Q code 351C 4V. Even though there have been many for sale at higher prices I have yet to see one sell for more than what I have stated above. Most sell for under $5,000 and $5,000 should be able to get you a Ranchero in very good condition. There are many 1972 Rancheros for sale in the Southern California area so You should have no problem getting a good deal on one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how long a Sport bike is but the bed of a 1972-1979 Ranchero measures 75 inches from back window to the inside of the tailgate. 400 pounds should not be an issue as the 1972-1979 Rancheros were built on a full frame and rated at 1/2 ton. I currently own 3 1972 Rancheros and 2 1973 Rancheros, so I am quite familiar with the model. Sorry, none of mine are for sale. You should be able to get a pretty go deal on a Ranchero as they do not sell for the same kind of money other vintage cars sell for of the same era. The price range runs between $500-$15,000 depending on condition and options. The rare ones would be the Q code 351C 4V Cobra Jet and the Q code 351C 4V Cobra Jet with 4 speed Trans as well as the N code 429 4V.
Note: the 4 speed Transmission was only sold with the Q code 351C CJ for the 1972 model year and the 429 had a lower horse power rating than the Q code 351C 4V. Even though there have been many for sale at higher prices I have yet to see one sell for more than what I have stated above. Most sell for under $5,000 and $5,000 should be able to get you a Ranchero in very good condition. There are many 1972 Rancheros for sale in the Southern California area so You should have no problem getting a good deal on one.
trikar, thanks for the reply, good info provided. I will measure my motorcycle when i get home.

I went looking through some past threads and saw your black 72 with the auto trans, very nice, just what I'm looking for. If you dont mind sharing, if you were sell your's, the auto trans (c4 or c6?), how much would you sell it for? I'm just trying to get an idea on how much these go for that's in similar condition to your's. PM me if you don't want to share publicly.

·
Registered
662 Posts
My Black 1972 Ranchero GT has a Rebuilt 351C 2V with Edelbrock Performer Intake, Summit 4 Barrel carburetor, Comp cam 268H cam, Summit dual exhaust, new radiator, Rebuilt c4 Transmission, new brakes all around including new slotted and drilled front rotors, Recovered bench seat,new headliner, new front windshield, Paint job is a single stage done 2 years ago. I would guess it would sell for about $5,000, but it is not for sale, it is going to my Son.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My motorcycle measures about 80" from the front outer most part of the front tire to the front outer most of the rear tire. So im thinking I will need to leave the gate down with bike loaded.

·
Registered
662 Posts
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> FORD RANCHERO <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

COLLECTORS CAR MUST GO!

THIS CAR IS IN GREAT CONDITION! THIS IS A 1972 FORD RANCHERO 8 CYLINDER. THE TRANSMISSION WAS REBUILT IN 2004. THIS CAR HAS NO PROBLEMS AND RUNS GREAT.

-40,000 MILES ON REBUILT ENGINE

-GOOD PAINT JOB

-GARAGED FOR THE LAST 8 YEARS

-INTERIOR CARPET WAS REPLACED RECENTLY

-VERY CLEAN INTERIOR

-GOOD TIRES

-REGISTRATION UP TO DATE

SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY PLEASE

CALL 805-680-5302

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: First, thank you Kevin with the help and advice you have given me.

I have finally found my 72 Ranchero. Even though I really wanted a GT, I wasn't able to find one in a condition that I was satisfied with, all the GT's in my area that were for sale needed a lot of work, either mechanically or visually, and some needed both.

This one here that I bought is a Ranchero 500, it has good paint and interior, and it runs strong. All I need to do is to replace the upper water pump hose. All in all, I'm satisfied with my purchase.

As for putting my motorcycle on the bed, the bed is too short with the gate up (approx 73"), so the gate will need to be down with the bike on the back. If anyone knows about about a tailgate extender, please let me know.

As for making changes to the Ranchero, it will stay as is in the short term. Long term I will looking into a new set of wheels, I really like the magnum 500's and torque thrust wheels. I also want to drop the front to give her that muscle car look.

Here are some pics.

Thanks.

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
Rick,
Glad I could help.
The custom front grille on your '72 Ranchero fits right in with the grille of that beast sitting next to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know where there is a 72 GT for sale, real nice condition as far as no rust other than one hole the size of a dime. If you are interested, call Terry: 616-899-2231. Located in the Grand Rapids, MI area, the car is from the Carolinas. Maybe late but try it, you may like it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts