Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO ALL ! Needing the rear axles for my 64 Galaxie 500 fast back. 28 spline old axles measure 27 3/4 " and one measures 32 1/4" long for the outside the hub(where the wheel goes on) to the end of the axle.
e mail me at [email protected] or call me at 618-977- nine 1 six 5.
Thanks !
Red

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Do you need the small bearing or big bearing 28 spline axles
The bearings I need are around 3 inches and some change..I did not measure the bearings , but was told that is what I needed.
Without measuring ,I'd say I needed the big bearing axles. I can measure whatever it is if that helps.......

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think the easiest way about this is to ID your axle bearing:

If your old rear axle bearing has a number on it like: RW207 plus several letters, it's the small, or more correctly as the 'book' calls it: medium
The size is: 2 53/64" O.D.

If it has a number on it like: 88128 preceded and/or followed by letters, that's the large bearing only found on h/d rear axles.
The size is: 3 5/32" O.D.

If you have numbers on your bearing that for some reason aren't either one of these, fret not, you can post them here and folks will try to cross-reference them, or you can try a place like NAPA and they will cross them.

Also, 1960-64 28 spline Gal axles are the same, given, they're the "medium" bearing as determined above.

Maybe that will help in your search?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yup, I agree -plus, you mentioned your bearing is over 3", so that cinches it.

ps: I know of an all Ford yard down in SE MN, but that may be kinda far. I did check the St Louis area craigslist since I'm on there alot, but nada.

Have you considered buying a complete rearend, I would consider it.....cuz it might be easier to find, altho... the down side is you don't know what shape it's in until dis-assembly .....just my (out loud) thoughts on it, lol. :)

I quick-looked at Moser, Currie and Yukon too.

Good luck on your search! Norm

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Sorry, can't help you either. I also have a big bearing housing in mine and i have 2 sets of small bearings axles but no extra large bearing axles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts