Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to replace the ole MX Cruiseomatic with a TKO 600. I've got a huge both footer brake pedal so I'll need the whole clutch and brake pedal assembly as well as the linkages. May also be interested in a steering column from a floor shifted manual car. I believe 65-68 Galaxies are all compatible for the pedals and linkage, don't know about the column. I do know I don't want the 67 steering wheel. I don't know if any other cars can interchange but appreciate the info if you've got it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do I remember correctly that the '65/'66 Galaxies with manual transmissions had a special bell housing with a threaded boss for the equalizer bar ball to screw into. I did this swap on a '65 LTD with a FE in 1971. If this FE bell housing is not available or an aftermarket bell is used, brackets will need to be fabbed. Many Ford clutch/brake pedals will work. Getting the correct linkage would be the challenge.
If you are not going with authentic linkage (given the TKO), consider a hydraulic throwout bearing. I have one between my TKO600 and Mclod Street Twin in a Lakewood Bell for a 460. Smooth, light foot pressure, quiet, just great!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been told that the hydraulic throwout bearings don't live very long and are expensive to replace. Also that the feel of the mechanical linkage is better. That's interesting to hear that you've got the hydraulic setup and like it. Sounds very nice and I bet the installation is a lot easier. How long have you had that setup and have you driven it much?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.