Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the points and condenser replaced about a month ago, as well as the carb needles cleaned and carb tuned. Drove around for almost an hour today with no trouble, but when I pulled into the driveway and put her in park, she revs and ticks. "rev tick tick tick, rev tick tick tick." The rev reminds me of my previous surge and stall problem, but it's not as strong of a surge, and if I give it a little punch of gas, it idles normally for a while. The ticking seems to be coming from a metal piece attached to the rear lower corner of the engine block on the passenger side, which isn't attached to anything else, and moves when it ticks. I don't know what it's called or what it does. The shop manual makes no mention of it. Is this purely a carb issue?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I had similar problem on my Cobra Jet years ago. It was the secondaries dripping into the venturis. I tried to adjust them, no luck. Replaced the N&S and it then was gone. The recent carb rebuild may have resulted in a very hard vitron tip being installed, which won't seal correctly, and eventially near flood that bowl.

With ending idling, slow as possible, stick you ear next to carb and see if that isn't the noise.

Then again it could be some other place.

Wm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's N&S?
The only sound coming from the carb is the air intake sucking sound.
I know for sure the ticking is coming from that "thing the name of which I do not know" at the rear of the block, because it rocks up and down while it ticks. I just don't know if that's the source of the idling problem or if the carb is the cause.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Heat Riser?

Is it kinda under the exhaust manifold along the exhaust pipe? I had mine welded open until I planed my manifolds, then I removed it totally.

There is also a fitting on the manifold that lets warm air up to the choke. Could it be left overs from those parts?

Don't know what else is back there. Tranny dipstick, starter, ...

This is like charades, "guess the part"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gordo on 10/10/06 6:55am ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts